Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler Burner Never Stops

• 12-02-2024 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭

Whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the gas burner symbol never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just normal operation? Its currently 22 deg C upstairs and downstairs.

No thermostat just a timer, boiler rad temps is set to 65 deg C. 10 rads in the house.

Post edited by Thargor on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Is the gas meter spinning constantly?

can you tell what ‘flow temperature’ is set on the boiler?

This could well be normal operation if the flow temperature is set high and/or you have a lot of radiators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭hydrus21

Your burner is modulating from full flame (when rads are warming up) to low flame (when rads are hot). Quite normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yes its definitely still burning gas.

Even with it set to 65 deg C though the flame is always there which means the burner is on, when I try to Google the problem its mostly people asking why the rads symbol is flashing while the burner/flame symbol is off, but they just get told this is normal operation and its just distributing heat, when the heat drops a bit the burner will reignite, mine just stays on constantly.

I think I might just get a Nest or Hive thermostat fitted for next Winter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭hydrus21

If the boiler return temp equals the boiler flow temp then the burner will go off. That won't happen as long as the pump is circulating the water through the rads or coil.

You can measure you gas consumption by monitoring your meter reading over a set time period.

Advertisement