Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ - Marlay Park - Sat 22 June 24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cosatron

I'm 6ft 5 and first time in my life not being able to see the band on stage and we moved around a good bit before hand. Its a pity as it was a good show. Great to hear porch and release live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

What a day!

I went into Whelan's on Friday to get my poster and a few other bits, I have a poster from every gig I've been to so like to keep that going. It was great to get that out of the way and not have to even think about it on Saturday. The system they had was a bit convoluted but worked well enough.

We got the Luas out to Ballaly on Saturday and walked down to Balinteer House for a few pints then headed into the venue for about 5. Bar queues were grand then. Sat on the grass in the sun for a few pints and a bit to eat, watched Murder Capital and Richard Ashcroft. Murder Capital were fine, bit shouty? Richard's set was great. Bittersweet Symphony is just class. Then headed into gold circle for the main event. We tried to get a pint before heading in but the queues were out of control by then so just didn't bother.

GC was great, nice and spacious. Had a great view of the band.

What a show!! The Release opener!!! I had a tear in my eye. The first 5 songs were absolutely class, was loving it. I wonder what was going on with Eddie being out of breath and Mike having to do Eruption, he said it was jet lag but hope he's alright, I doubt the smoking helps.

The setlist was definitely more of a greatest hits and paint by numbers affair. I could dissect it or try figure out the logic behind it but why bother, I loved every second and was just happy to be there. It is mad that they didn't play anything off No Code, Binaural, Riot Act, Avocado, Backspacer, Lightning Bolt and even Gigaton.

I thought Setting Sun was oddly placed and would have worked much better being last.

I was sad to see they had Yellow Led on the setlist but I'd say our stupid curfew ruined that.

I went to the jacks during Even Flow, there were people pi$$ing on the fence despite the urinals being empty?!

I was sure one or two of the songs were shortened, missing a verse or missing a generally longer solo/instrumental? Was that just me? Again, probably to do with being short on time.

Highlights: RELEASE x 5, the first five songs, loved the visuals, Wishlist, Jeremy, Upper Hand, Setting Sun, band seemed to be in great form, Alive was anthemic, It was nice having the separate entrance for GC to get your wristband. Weather was great. Sound was great. Eddie's words for topical matters.

Lowlights: RITFW, bar queues, half an hour to get out of the venue but wasn't the worst, still can't believe someone attacked the PA guy. Was hoping for Waiting for Stevie from DM.

All in all, a fantastic day, I was very depressed yesterday, probably from the booze but moreso because it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Is there anywhere to buy the merch that was on sale for the gig? I loved the kaki green t-shirts with the yellow/orange tripes but never got a chance to get near the merch stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Spud666

If you're struggling to find one I'm doing the Manchester, London and Berlin shows so can pick one up.

Sizing is about right, my size L fits perfectly.

Let me know and we can sort out the logistics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

That's an amazing offer, fair play. Will send on PM now.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Deenie78

I work around the corner from Whelans and was almost putting out offers to get merch for people early last week but held my tongue for some reason … I must have known … got covid, was really ill the rest of week and too sick to make the gig - devo doesn't come close! Sounds like I missed a cracker … am now weighing up the cost of going to Barcelona solo in a couple of weeks … not that it would be anywhere close to a home show … but still …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The curfew was 11, but they only played til 10:45.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Fanirish

the reality is 15 minutes before the curfew is standard. Don’t want to be annoying the residents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If the curfew, agreed with residents, is 11pm, then they shouldn't have any issues with bands playing up to the curfew. All the bands started later than the posted stage times too which didn't help.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

they were supposed to be on at 8 too - but didnt come on til 8.30 ish ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

yeah but the noise of 30,000 wandering the streets after 11 etc and risk of fines etc means no one is cutting it too close to the curfew for summer outdoor shows in residential areas. People will complain if it’s a second over.
    look what happened to beyond the pale last year where it’s late night hours got chopped back cause of local resident complaints. That stuff is always a major point of contention with the licence. Enough complaints and marlay will have 10:30 curfew next year.

The 10C email had them scheduled for 8.15 start and according to the official timing it was 8.23

Band Onstage 20:23
    Band Offstage 22:45

Not too bad.

Definitely could've fit in Yel Led!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

Anyone know if Phoenix Park is still used for these types of gigs? Think I saw Stone Roses there about 12 years ago. Marley Park is a major headache to get in and out of. It would definitely put me off a gig. It would have to be something like Pearl Jam to bring us back. Saw Arcade Fire and the Pixies a few years back and don't remember the stage set up being so poor? Anyway Pearl Jam were just savage! My first time seeing them and enjoyed every single second!

Phoenix park last used in 2018 for Ed sheeran. 5 year gap before when the killers and Mumford play.
    It just doesn’t work operationally for shows, easier to use aviva or croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭antimatterx

it is a headache, but my view on gigs is that you might go once or twice a year, or every couple of years, so if it's someone you want to see, just suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Probably wont be back for a good while.

The other European dates sold terribly, the band tried to gouge and it backfired.

I was surprised how packed the venue was considering it wasn't sold out.
    Seemed much more crowded than at Weezer/Green Day a couple of years
    ago.

They sold 95% of the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Arequipa

If any of you are looking for tshirt etc.... i 'allegedly' bought a few on ali express and they are perfect... allegedly....

just search pearl jam tshirt...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Easy fix for that, charge normal prices and/or play arenas, as well as announce early on around September/October (if doing summer gigs). Of course that depends whether their priority is the cash but they aren’t exactly stuck for a few dollars. The O2 was the long rumoured venue for London, not Tottenhams ground, so not sure why the change but overall this tour was terribly managed.

They’re also in a similar predicament to the rest of the old bands in that they’re still top now (although not playing as long as they used to), and so if money is the priority, they need to be hitting the road fairly consistently for the next while.

If they did sell as well as that here though you’d assume they will play Ireland again whenever they’re back.

arenas and normal prices doesn’t work when a band needs a million plus a night.
    they will drop in for summer shows, collect a few million each and go back and spend quality time with the family instead of killing themselves with massive arena tours to meet demand.
    they sold well cause it’s been years since their last show, don’t see them coming back for a good few years. Possibly a Belfast show next summer if still touring the album next festival season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They are hardly killing themselves though, the European tour is just over 3 weeks long.

Then they have 5 weeks off for a US tour of 4 weeks.

They did a 4 week US leg last month with a 3 week break for Dublin.

Thats a pretty easy schedule especially by modern standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Arequipa

I think the touring schedule is designed to suit them at their current ages, lifestyles, family lives...

They can put their heart and soul into fewer gigs, rest...regroup and go again..

It also gives Eddie time to rest his voice and emotionally regroup... he puts a lot of himself into every gig!

the nature of their songs do put a considerable strain on his voice too and he is approaching 60 years old.. i heard his throat was getting sore on the US leg of this tour & didnt he have to cancel shows last year after smoke damage...

PJ are lucky now that they can suit themselves.. can arrange touring, recording, media to keep them happy and sustain them as a band into the future..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

That's an allegedly good steer. How would one allegedly find the sizing if they hypothetically were to try one on?

Also …
    Who designed those circular urinal yokes !?

Stupid things! 🤨

Yes! Silly design. I saw a lot more penis than I wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Without those the queues for the mens would be unbearable, they'd need tonnes more cubicles and the stench of cubicles after a few rounds of lads using them is horrendous.

I understand that…
    its just they are not very discreet , You wouldnt want to have any shyness!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Very easy to just not look down if you didn't want to 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It's the other people looking down that I'd be worried about 😲

Advertisement