Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed contract with new employer but existing employer have upped their offer

• 13-02-2024 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

**** - ok, not a dire situation to be in. In same firm for 4 years but base salary pretty mediocre. Got an offer from another firm. Did give it consideration and signed contract. Handed in my notice. My current boss has come back with an offer. What are the legal implications with new employer? I have signed the Contract and was given a start date of 18th March next ! Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭DubCount

The legal action that the new firm could take is for breach of contract. Are they really going to take that action - unlikely IMHO.

Go with your own preference, but know that you will have burned your bridges with whatever option you take - its just a matter of which bridges to you are happier to burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There are no effectively no legal implications to this question. The new employer will not take you to court for breach of contract, and even if they did they couldn't prove a loss that needs redressed.

This is not a question of legality and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

It is very, very common for somebody to accept an offer, but then receive a counter offer that they cannot turn down, its why I never considered a hire done until they were actually in the door. In fact most of the times it happens it will happen at the very last minute, when the old company realises they are screwed and come begging to the candidate to stay. So finding out over a month before the start date would be a luxury.

Stay or go, its up to you. But choose based on what is best for yourself and don't worry about contracts or what people will think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭AlanG

unless you are earning in the millions then the loss to your new employer is a pittance so they will do nothing. They have to proove a loss.

In my view, If your existing employer is a big company then stay as it is all part of the game. if they are a small company then they may be a bit resentful but likelwise you could be resentful that they were paying you below your worth in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

So your current employer only made an offer after you handed in your notice? Why didnt they pay you what you're worth beforehand - they had four years to up your salary and benefits if they wanted to treat you right. Never had much time for companies who treat staff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If your only reason for leaving was salary then you have achieved your aims, stay where you are, don't worry about anything else, move on.

If the new employer offered more than just a salary increase or your were otherwise unhappy with your current role - get out with the current offer, a few (or a lot) more euros will not any working situation.

There are no legal implications or otherwise whatever your decision - just do what is best for you - it happens all the time - the new employer may offer you more again!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement