Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up with Anti vape agenda

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A friend told me recently that her 17 year old son is on nicotine gum now to get him off the nicotine vapes.

I used to believe the aspartame stuff as well and how it was the devil.

Not true.

It's in the 'possible causes' category and you'd need to consume so much of the stuff (9-14 cans a day) that you'd have other ailments before needing to worry about cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭TokTik

Seems a bit excessive. Nicotine is no worse for you than caffeine. Is she also weaning him off tea, coffee, coca-cola, Monster, Red Bull too??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

For a tenner they can get the equivalent 2 packs of cigarettes, they won't stink of smoke and it's easy to hide. They even look like pens or USB drives. Colours and flavours, packaging. It's all aimed at teens especially girls.

We're missing an opportunity to stop a generation from starting vaping or smoking.

For a tenner they could also get about 10 litres of Coke or 2/3 jars of coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Anecdotally, artificial sweeteners (not sure which ones in particular since they're usually blended) gave me a ton of health issues for over a decade (mostly skin-related) that all went away as soon as I stopped consuming them. I'm sure that's pretty rare, though, and I would have been consuming quite a lot between coffee, tea, 'zero' drinks and using them as subs in baking.

Non-anecdotally, nicotine seems to have some neuroprotective effects. Which might actually be a good thing considering plummeting birth rates in the developed world. There'll be nobody to look after all the dementia and Parkinson's patients if we don't hurry up with the AI robots. 🤖

Pouches and gum are probably better than vaping though, and it probably makes sense not to become addicted to anything you can't afford to pay for.

It is already illegal to sell nicotine-containing products to people under 18 and has been since December. The penalty is up to €4k or a stint in prison. I would suggest enforcing that law with a few widely publicised sting operations would see retailers become more enthusiastic about asking for ID.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But they don't.

They are, however, buying vapes, in very large numbers.

You rarely see a kid nowadays without a bottle of Coke, red bull or Prime. All muck. No different to a vape. And they’ll get 1 vape on a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

AntiVa....

Total rubbish. I hate vaping. I think it's ignorant as it is seen as more socially acceptable as smoking. Walking through huge clouds if nauseating saccharine-mist. Is it socially acceptable to spit in people's faces? Cough in people's faces? They target kids with their flavours and branding.

And I have never smoked or owned a cigarette company. I have my own opinions, not informed by "Big tobacco" but based upon my own experience as I'm sure everyone else has. Unless we are ALL in BT's pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

You rarely see a kid without a bottle of coke, red bull or prime? Where do you live?

• Advertisement

Dublin. Prime was selling and being bought at €25 a bottle before Xmas when there were shortages.

Advertisement