Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB issue

• 13-02-2024 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

So we are considering building a second house right beside our current house. There is no problem with space and the area is bordered by walls so that's all good. The only problem is there is an ESB pole slap bang in the middle of the the area we are hoping to develop. My question is who would have to pay for that pole to be moved about 8 metres so it sits outside the walls of our property. This will then allow us to go ahead with the build

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm not sure what the present day policies are but it was always the case that the ESB would move such poles free of charge where the poles were deemed to be interfering with planned development. You would obviously need planning permission and this would have to be submitted to the ESB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm not sure what the present day policies are but it was always the case that the ESB would move such poles free of charge where the poles were deemed to be interfering with planned development. You would obviously need planning permission and this would have to be submitted to the ESB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

So we are the last house in a tiny boreen in Mayo. And we wish to facilitate one of our kids and her husband and young kid. So we have space to build another house, which would make the new house, the last house in the boreen, which would be right beside us. And then the question is what would be the most economical build.

We got a quote of 200k to extend our house which is totally mental. And then the option is to build beside us a modular house or a log cabin. So the area is totally off the grid.

I wonder what folks would recommend. We have 100k and a bit to spend on the project and that's it, but at the same time we want to provide them the best possible solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Know any Architects/Architectural Technicians? Check County Development Plan and book a pre planning meeting with the planners. Local Needs is a massive issue still. Getting planning is your first hurdle. Development Contributions and water/sewer connection charges (if public) are waived until April, it may be extended but you won't have enough time to get planning and start before then if it's not but that can save a lot (10K-20K). The Dev charges are based on size so to save, build tight, smart and small. I'll PM you a company that has pre fab homes you could price, they can do a lot for you if they are in budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭monseiur

I'm a bit confused, in your original post you mention an ESB pole in the middle of your proposed site and in post no. 4 you say the area is totally off the grid 😒 Is this a different site.?

Anyhow my advise is to forget these modular & log cabin types, ignore the snake oil salesmen. The fact is they are not suitable in the long run for our, almost, always damp, mild climate especially where you are in the west facing the Atlantic.

Assuming planning permission etc. build a 3 or 4 bed house, use tried & tested materials, cavity walls, insulation, slate or tiled roof, uPVC, aluminium or wood clad windows & doors. Keep the design simple but modern. Complex designs are money pits. Simple can be elegant with a little imagination, this is where a good architect comes into play.

As you don't have the expense of buying a site - €150k. should go a long way building by direct labour. Once house is closed in with basic floors, plumbing and electrical etc. completed all you need is two bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen/dining with some basic furnishings and the house is habitable. Tons of top quality used furniture is available at a fraction of new price.

You don't need Axminister carpets, Waterford Glass chandeliers, saunas etc. the first day you move in.... Rome wasn't built in a day😉 Once the basic structure and design of the house is good from day one the decor and furnishings can be added and upgraded as the finances allow over time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement