Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT comms room question

Options
  • 14-02-2024 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi All,

I work in a software company in Dublin city, we have an in-house comms room with quite old equipment and wiring that I am trying to figue out the power consumption of. We had a sparks in today doing a few other bits, and I asked him to measure the usage of the room. He pulled out his meter, and measured the following:

L1 10.6a

L2 11.16a

L3 11.8a

I'm trying to run those numbers through some kW calculators online, and coming up with approx 4.4kW. I should just be using an average of the the 3 phases for the calculation, correct? Also, Is 3-phase power in Ireland 230/240 or 400V, or does it depend on the installation?

The room contains 30+ servers, and networking + ISP equipment, just for context.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

3P supply voltage is 230/400 nominally

230 is phase voltage and 400 is line voltage

Used to be 220/380

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! It would be roughly 235v to 240v from neutral to each phase (N to L1), but 400v if you were to measure from phase to phase (L1 to L2).

L1 10.6a = 2.54kW

L2 11.16a = 2.7kW

L3 11.8a = 2.8kW

Total all of them, don't average - not sure where you got that.

Next time ask him to install a 3phase energy panel meter such as this one :

That's what we use in our IT lab for continuous monitoring. We have another on the cooling so that we can see that separately.

Advertisement