Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question for Electricians about ducting

Options
  • 14-02-2024 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I am currently going to run a red 50mm esb duct from my fuse board to the front of my house and want to put in a wire for an EV charger (7kw), a wire for power in the patio, and a wire for lights in the patio area. Will this duct carry all three wires or do i need a bigger one?

I assume all three wires will in no way interfere with each other when in the one duct? I'm pretty clueless and will get an electrician to do all the various bits, however I want to have the correct ducting down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If the EV takes 4sq mm SWA then that's 14mm diameter for the SWA and let's say another 12mm for each of the patio and lights, then you're around 36mm if all were lined up at any point. So yeah, in my guesswork 50mm duct should do it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭davidivad

Exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

4sq is going to be very skimpy for the EV charger. I would be looking to put in a minimum of 6sq and ideally 10sq to future proof it.

So I would go for two of those ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Ya 7kw would be at least a 6sq imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Fair point - 4sq would have had a fair Vdrop.

I measured diameter of my own SWA for the car which is 10sq, and it's 17.5mm, so still should leave plenty of room in a 50mm duct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

The most common we supply for chargers is 3x6 with the data cable built in. This is the same diameter as 3x10 swa. If your using duct the entire run then you could use H07 rubber flex which would be a lot easier to work with. Either way I'd put in a cat6 run while your there.

Advertisement