Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painted wallpaper on taped and jointed boards - strip wallpaper or reboard?

• 15-02-2024 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,

We live in a 1979 semi-D. We want to renovate our hall, stairs, landing and 3 bedrooms. All have painted wallpaper on taped and jointed plasterboards with stippled ceilings. We intend to overboard our stippled ceilings and have them skimmed. We also intend to have 1 builtin wardrobe closed up in one bedroom to open up a bigger wardrobe in the adjoining bedroom. We also need new bannisters, internal doors, skirting etc.

If we could get somebody to do this for us, what would be the best solution in relation to the walls? From previous experience of removing the wallpaper in two other rooms, the walls will end up in bits and will need to be skimmed. Would it be quicker/more appealling to a contractor, to remove all plasterboards and start afresh?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It might be your best option to have it all pulled down as I don't know if they will skim over wallpaper with fresh plaster. You could ask.

Otherwise you could ask to have the walls double-boarded but use the 10mm or 12.5mm boards.

Use the opportunity to review your room sizes as partitions can often be moved with ease and new electrical outlets installed.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you re-slab you will also have the option of improving insulation.

If you're just going to paint you don't have to skim btw. I mean skimming is a stronger finish but tape and joint is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jaykayphd

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'm thinking about pulling down one wall upstairs on the landing and rebuilding. It's a paramount partition wall containing three doorways, two of which won't close due to wonky frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd certainly pull down the exterior walls and replace with insulated boards. Your 1970's house probably has candyfloss for insulation, like all the rest of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Stripping wallpaper on bare plasterboard is torture and often results in mush.

Maybe you got lucky and they gave the wall a mist coat before papering...would be good to check.

• Advertisement
Advertisement