Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete path around house

Options
  • 15-02-2024 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi not sure if I'm posting in the right place apologies if not..however I viewed a house today built 2000's and the concrete footpath has completely pulled away from the house and dropped probably 6 inches. All along the gable end and patio area. Is this a cause for concern? I noticed the soil pipe has a nice bend in it as well where it meets the drain in the footpath.. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

Sounds like typical shoddy building work?! How thick is the concrete, can you see is it even / varies in thickness? I'd dig a hole out back right up against the concrete path and examine depth of concrete and hardcore underneath, probably none! Best case, not properly laid down, rain got in, froze and gradually pushed out path and there's nothing more serious than that. But get professional advice / post pictures. Take it all up, repair any pipes and put down paving blocks / relay concrete on good buildup of hardcore/sand as appropriate, nice project for the summer?!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Thanks for your feedback. It looks awful. I was only viewing it today but its definitely something that would need to be repaired. So more money. I didn't like the way the soil pipe had effectively moved with the path. No cracks or anything visible in the house itself. There was a new estate built here 2 yrs ago and all the footpaths had to be taken up and replaced with tarmac. Same problem just pulling away and down from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

I'd be more concerned about the house itself re. subsidence etc. Check thoroughly for cracks in walls especially around windows & doors both externally and internally. Also open all manhole covers and flush toilets, run taps etc. and check if all are working OK.

Replacing footpaths is not a major job but not cheap. All the existing path has to be removed including the sections that seem OK. The subsoil or fill underneath has to be dug up (16 inches wider that path) and replaced with clause 804 - this needs to be well compacted with a wacker plate compacter. Then it will be ready for your new concrete foot path to engineers specification.

Get an estimation for all remedial work and deduct it from agreed sale price of house.... that is if you decide to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

Thank you for the informative post much appreciated

Advertisement