Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluorescent Starting Problem

Options
  • 16-02-2024 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

A 36W fluorescent single sometimes fails to fire up with the neon starter light flashing, new starter and tube tried but same problem, when its working normally it fires up after a few flashes of the starter and the tube lights to full brightness quite rapidly, there is no flickering of the tube. This fluorescent is about 16 years old and is used for around 2 hours/day, supply voltage is fine at 230/236V. It also has a capacitor and a ballast.The capacitor wiring seems to be permanently attached to it so maybe not easy to renew/replace, ditto with the ballast, I havn't checked out the earth which I think is important?.

Any suggestions?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Is it in a cold shed

Normally replacing tube and starter sorts it

Earthing wouldn't affect operation of those

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭John.G

Yea, a outside shed so can can get quite cold, but it ran for years and has started up consistently at temperatures as low as -5C or -6C and also no problems on one of the coldest Christmas Days that I ever remember, 25/12/2010 when it was -12C outside but it was only 2/3 years old then so maybe time to go LED but wiring a bit ackward as it comes in towards the centre and I want to keep the same footprint.

Just finished replacing it with a LED Slimline,with a rated life of 25,000 hours!!, €29.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I'll agree here. We supply these at work and the quality has improved massively over thea last few years. The light output will remain very close to factory spec for the life of the product whereas the old fluorescent would dim over time. You can select the colour temperature to suit the area and most come with a 5 year warranty now but will last much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭batistuta9

@corsav6 are the LED with the pins same as the tubes any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

There's a diy model which involves swopping starter and tube assuming there's a magnetic ballast fitted

It's better to spend the extra on a new fitting if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Better off buying the new fitting. Retrofitting as another poster said requires a few tweaks to the existing fitting and they never give off the same light output. €45 will buy a 5yr warranty cct waterproof fitting from a reputable brand.

Advertisement