Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thermal camera

• 17-02-2024 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

I got a loan of a thermal camera to check out 2-3 rooms in my house that I felt were always colder than other parts of the house. It's a fairly new build, house build in 2020.

I am after discovering cold spots along the wall plate of upstairs rooms some are 2-3 feet coming out from the wall plate. and some parts of the roof where clear blue spots are emerging were lights were installed. They are a clear blue spots on the camera image. I also had a MJ window that was leaking but was sealed up. You can still see the blue wave around where the window leaked so suggesting the water or cold air is coming into the point of where the sealant is.

I have also discovered at the corner of my kitchen a clear blue wave. It's located near the plant room sink and dishwasher. I hope it's not a water leak but I really have no way of telling. For a house that was went to be insulated fully and high level of airtightness, I'm very surprised with the amount of leaks I have discovered here.

Anyone do this before? How far can the insulation be run up to eaves of the house? I'm thinking of adding additional insulation to these areas to see does it improve the temps of those rooms.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Did you capture any of the images? If so, put some up here.

Generally, your attic insulation should be placed out to and over the wallplate but should not interfere with the eaves ventilation nor be in contact with the roof felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Seadin

Il get them up there when I have them. I hope the blue spots aren't water or moisture content.

Here are some images of some rooms around the house .

Pictures 1 and 2 are a vaulted ceiling of a sitting connected to the side of the house.

And here a few more

The last picture is a spotlight. But same for all spotlights in house.

Fourth picture up from the bottom is one of the bedrooms. The attic is floored above it but it's either missing insulation or the hrv pipe is not insulated or possibly a leak there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭MacDanger

One thing worth noting is the different temp range on each of the photos e.g. the dark blue colour in the first few photos is ~15C whereas it's ~19C in the last couple of photos.

• Advertisement

I haven't checked those areas of the attic but I take it there isn't any Insulation there to it to stand out like that?

Advertisement