Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish pension living in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 17-02-2024 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My wife and I are living in NI and both working in the south and paying all our taxes there. She's looking at taking a career break and looking after our four young kids. She's lived in NI all her life and I moved from the south a few years back.

She's concerned she may have issues getting the state pension, which I'm no also thinking about for myself too. She's probably paid full contributions for 15 years or so, similar to myself. We've both never worked in NI so all contributions are in the south.

Will we both be entitled to state pensions if we remain in NI? Even if she were to stay out of work altogether now? Or go back some years down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I suspect you don't have an issue. But that's just based on the general fact that bi-lateral agreements for pensions are so widely agreed, I cannot imagine that NI/ROI isn't well covered.

You can find a range of useful links here: https://borderpeople.info/a-z/pensions-in-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭beachhead

You will get a Republic pension based on your contributions even if living in the UK.Apply 3 months before the date due for pension.You need at least 10 yrs work to get anything.You could try asking the Dept of Social Protection if you can add credits-I mean pay them directly to get extra years on top of the 15.The HMRC have an option like that for those paying N Ins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭beachhead

A career to look after her children will not matter.Wife should explain situation to the Dept of S P in advance to prevent problems in the future

Advertisement