Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renovating old derelict bungalow

• 17-02-2024 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Ok so i recently purchased some land with a small derelict cottage on it, i have looked into the derelict and vacant homes grants but they are more hassle than they are worth so i’m thinking of tipping away at it myself.

The cottage is in galway and is around 150 yrs old. Its approx 8m long x 4m wide. There is a large double chimney stack in the middle that i will remove and will replace with a stud wall.

the floor is pretty level but old. So what i intend to do is put a layer of 1200 guage dpc over it, build a 3x2 wood subframe on it and sprayfoam inbetween the joists. Then cover over with ply and wood floor or tiles on top.

i also plan to do the same with the walls, the existing walls are just stone walls prob about 500mm thick, i will cover with dpc, build a stud frame tight against walls all the way around, and spray foam between studs floow to roof, then plasterboard them all the way around. Obviously installing services throughout where needed.

So will this work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

there's so much wrong with this I don't know where to start.

Spray foam has no place in such a building project

You also need to address the radon issue

Digest the attached for openers

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭monseiur

At just 32 sq. m. it's rather small. I would suggest leave everything including chimney stack as is. Decorate as if back in the 1800's , open fireplace with hobs, dresser with old earthenware & crockery, old milk churn, front half door etc. etc.

Hack off all loose mortar and apply two or three coats of lime render internally & externally. The lime render will help old stone walls to breath. Finish floor with slate type tile. If you have to replace roof use salvaged Blue Bangor or similar slates.

Build a modern extension out back or beside (with access to old house via roofed / glazed corridor) to accommodate bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen/dining .................all subject of course to these dreaded two words planning permission😊

Advertisement