Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Siochana Recruitment 2024

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 Galwayeast5

I phoned no. On email received today ref dates available for next week to do fitness testing. Was told we would be receiving an email with a date for open day apx sep 15th. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Tra112

it’s more like a pre run of the PCT, not the full course, it’s an invite you get via email to go down to Templemore, I think they randomly select people, I could be wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Confitzy

I got this email aswel. Do we have to reply to this email saying I can’t attend them dates or just leave it off?

I’d assume one doesn’t actually need to it not availing of one of the dates unless out of courtesy one wants to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just to let you know that the form with the interview results is not the official form b that is to be returned. It's just a sample form so you will know what's expected to be included. Garda HR are to send the actual blank template form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 NorthLouth

Hey, just wondering did everyone from batch4 receive email with dates for fitness test next week? I was OOM 30 after interview but have not yet received anymore emails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

My OOM is in the 20s for batch 4 and didn't get an email. The PCT will probably be another few weeks away yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 Cantona89

Just a word of warning about the PCT, a lot of people from my group failed, maybe 60-70%. If you can get down to do a trial run definitely do it! Don't underestimate it, it's grand if you know what the bleep test is actually like from having practiced it and can do the required sit-ups and push ups. They are very strict on form and won't let you away with any bad reps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 leilahollie

Who do you contact to get down for a practice run? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 leilahollie

Im oom 8 and no emails yet

• Advertisement

I think people are randomly selected for it.. I got an email with an invite to it after the interview result email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I hope this can help many of you and save you searching, too!

It’s very important to prepare for the PCT!
    You could also be given less than a week of notice for it. I got a personal trainer and it is 100% what passed me. I said what I needed and he made sure I got it through various workouts and diet which you wouldn’t believe how important that alone is

(https://www.instagram.com/davidoes_personal/) (not sure if their link will be removed but PM me if you want his details, based in Dublin 8 and you don’t need gym membership to train in his gym but it’s great that he knows the PCT himself) 

When I was there almost half did fail and a good few also failed the obstacle course. 

You can repeat within 6 weeks but you may need to go back to your doctor to get a new stamp if you’re outside of the 6 weeks of the original stamp. You also need to make sure to take a copy of it if you’re repeating within the time. 

Remember if you don’t have the doctor’s stamp, you will not be doing the test. You also need ID for when you arrive and for your bleep test. 

HR are there on test day and you can speak with them privately. You get emailed a link to select your new test date from a list. I’d suggest getting your doctor’s stamp as close to the test date as possible so it can be used again should you need to repeat. 

Remember you’re doing this two more times when you’re a Garda trainee in Templemore, so you need to keep your fitness up. It is also required for self defence and other parts of your course. 

When you’re invited for your interview and even when you applied, you should have started on your fitness at that stage. But it’s never too late and do start now if you haven’t already. It’s basically the last big jump to get you into Templemore. 

You’re split into groups and then you go in that order starting with the bleep test followed by a ten minute rest period then you move on to your sit ups followed immediately with your push ups. They tell you there and then if you’ve passed but you’ll know yourself anyway. 

There is a water cooler you can use at the very back of the main entrance (so the back door basically). Most show up in the clothes they’re going to do the test in but there are changing rooms next to where you’ll be doing your bleep test. 

1.5 - 2 hours later you’ll be doing your obstacle course. It isn’t as easy as it looks and the energy will be drained from your legs pretty quickly! Someone will be running around with you so you won’t go the wrong way but after a lap you’ll be fine with the route. 

You’ll be doing your running around 45 minutes after you’ve arrived (assuming you’re group A) and you could be done by 1-2pm depending on how quickly you get the hair sample. If you have public transport to get, they’ll ask you and you can be put in Group A to finish on time. 

If you’re invited to the open day, go down and have a look. You’ll be able to see it and also be given a little practice. 

In very exceptional circumstances you can get your dates pushed back without issue so don’t panic too much. Just show up, because a LOT do not. 

The vetting Form B could take up to two years for some, so you really need some patience. I could hazard a guess at it being either side of 12 months for most.

So in short, you need to be prepared and there are no trail runs on the day. You’re straight into it! 

Post edited by PeteK* on

two years for the form B for the vetting to be done? Is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I said “up to” but I’d guess either side of 12 months for most.

ok, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

Hi all,

In relation to vetting, I know I'll be unable to provide some details of deceased uncles and aunts. Anyone else in the same boat? I'll be missing a few things I think! I'm in the prison service but vetting is definitely more thorough for AGS. I know we can get an affidavit. Just wondering if anyone has had to do it.

Also the middle names, are they required? I seen a previous comment stating that person was told by an inspector they're not required! I'll be able to get most but not all.

I got an email this morning to book pct, medical and online vetting form.

anyone not been available for dates given was there an issue with that, did u manage to get another date.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 aod214

anyone know roughly how long you should wait to hear back from the vetting until you should give them a ring asking for an update?

There was a message earlier on this and I asked that too, reply was “up to two years” or the other side of 12 months…
    Maybe check with HR when you are down doing your fitness test as they will be there.. I’ll ask when I’m down at the end of this month..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 nippy12

Best to ask as it can vary. I heard back I think just over the year mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 recruit2024

if you recently got Garda vetted and police clearance from overseas, will the vetting process still take as long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 AssassinJimmy100

Like Notes stuck on your computer screen or like notes from a software that can be placed on your screen over your zoom call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 abz54

anyone know when the next intake is? and is it full?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Grayzer1979

I got an affidavit for information I couldn't obtain... DOBs for deceased grandparents etc.

They came back to me looking for middle names of aunts/uncle's etc. Bit of a pain in the ass getting all of these - didn't get them all but they said just to put N/A if you couldn't get them.

Did my test in June, so this Form B could realistically not be completed vetting by next summer?? Does anyone know?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 sligo98

When did you send that off with amendments?

I had to do the same in april or may time but havent heard since.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭po candidate

Thanks for that information. I'll struggle to get middle names myself especially for aunts/uncles and their spouse's, many of whom I hardly know! I'd be surprised if this wasn't a common problem amongst candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Paddy77

When I was filing out my form B I hadn’t a lot of information for my wife’s aunts and uncles I was missing info for about 20 altogether,I went and got a affidavit from a solicitor to save all the hassle of it been sent back and fort to me as I had no way of getting the info required, The solicitor charged me €369 for 2 hours work as she said because all the info I was missing was varied for each person as she had to take each individual and state what info was missing for each particular person and also state why I couldn’t get the info required.That was about 4 weeks ago,I haven’t heard anything back yet so they must of been happy with it..I was shocked it cost that much for the affidavit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Confitzy

Does anyone know how long the medical takes in the CHI centres? Iv mine on Thursday and time is an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Red devil 77

30-45 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 mld20

I got an affidavit for my spouse’s family and it was €40 for the appointment. The commission of oats sent a word file of the layout including the wording that had to be on it so all I had to do was fill in the middle.
    I had to write out the affidavit and state what info was missing and then they witnessed, stamped and signed it. All together €60(this includes the appointment fee). €10 per page. I sent it off weeks ago and haven’t heard anything. Sounds like they took the absolute piss with you.

Advertisement