Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitrates inspection

Options
  • 18-02-2024 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

received a call from an inspector who will be out Tuesday to the farm for a nitrates inspection. We are over nitrates alright last couple years and take the penalties.Approx 180kg instead of the 170kg, wouldn’t be in board bia or glas or the cow grant or what ever it’s called now. But would get the single farm payments and abit of sheep grants. We be approx 30acres with sucklers to beef system and sheep. It’s an old fashion farm tbh.

just wondering has anyone any advice what he be looking for on the farm, I can do some last minute fixes tomorrow.

my biggest concern is the slatted tank is full just from this weekend and with the wet fields won’t get to spread was hoping next weekend if it dries up but also may linger for 10days. I am wheel barrelling it and scattering it in the field nearby from today onwards so the cattle won’t be sitting in it twice a day. Can he do much to me here.

any advice here is welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭older by the day

There ain't any neighbor that would take a tank of water or slurry out of the tank and throw it in his own. It would look a bit better than scraping it down the field. Other than that I suppose they will take their 5%, something has to pay for this squardering government. A nighty year old relative of mine was fined a fiver a week off his pension, because he has a few cattle in his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Runoff from the farmyard would be a big one, so seepage from dungsteads, straw bedded sheds, even the bale stack needs to be collected or diverted to a tank. Also make sure any fertilizer in yard tallies with closing stocks/purchases. Was there some reason you didn't you apply for derogation rather than taking penalties every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

We had a nitrates inspection before the Christmas. They measured the tanks and walked the land to make sure watercourses were fenced. Make sure there is no signs of runoff from the yard. If there is waste silage and muck in the yard snd runoff is not been collected that's a non compliance.

A good cleanup can go a long way to getting passed without huge penalties

Penalties will vary but if you have a few serious issues like runoff from the yard, you are very likely to be inspected again in the future and the penalties will escalate

If you have a teagasc advisor or private advisor give them a call to see what you require on the paperwork side

Advertisement