Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Voting NO for both

The barrister came across well in the first debate but badly in the second. Think I will be voting no no though. Poorly worded and don't do anything to help disabled people or carers. I would like to see the woman's place in the home but removed and would fully support it if there was something more definite than durable put in

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Voting YES for both

I think the outcome will be

Yes to Family

No to Care

The reason I think that is - the Yes/Yeses and the No Nos will cancel each other out and the #VoteYesNo will be the kingmaker for both.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Voting NO for both

Inheritance is a thing that scares the **** out of farmers, I expect a strong rural no, no.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

How often was Michael Martin asked about what is a "durable relationship" and he consistently ignored and shirked the question. Immediate NO vote for that display.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Voting YES for both

The durable part is to do with the family referendum. The care one is where the women in the home will be removed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Voting NO for both

This will be me if there is a Yes Yes result.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Voting NO for both

Sorry, worded that very poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I still don't know what it's all about. Is it co-habiting couples having the same legal rights ( gay and straight) as married couples (tax and parental rights ) or more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭1848

Maria Steen very poor advocate for ‘no’ side - too closely associated with right wing Catholicism. She was going Ok early on but M Martin got the better of her towards the end & really stitched it in by outlining her links with previous issues. Argument by her about cost of referendum was very poor - I didn’t think a legal professional would use that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It's so clear that the spokesman for the yes side couldn't explain the extent of "durable relationship" or it's limits, other than the courts will decide.

What a sh1t show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Voting YES for both

The referendums were foist on the government by the citizens’ assembly, if they were to ignore that it would be much worse.

But it is another reasons as to why there won’t be a re-run anytime soon should there be a No result.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Voting NO for both

#VoteNoNo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Voting NO for both

I have settled on NoNo after a lot of consideration. It's a reluctant No on the Family referendum as I agree with the stated intention of the proposal. I still feel a strong coherent argument could sway me, but yet to hear it.

No to the Care referendum is a 100%. It's a shocking proposal with dreadful implications. Varadkar's interview the other day just confirmed every concern regarding the government's intentions.

At this stage I think the majority I know are voting YesNo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Voting NO for both

23000000 spent and the majority of people haven't a clue or couldn't give two shytes. I'd say that's a poor enough return on our money. Fair enough to highlight I would have thought personally.

Some people are cashing some very nice cheques. And that's nearly all that ever matters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Voting YES for both

Why is everyone so bothered by a definition?

None of us will ever have to worry about it, the only ones that may have to decide whether something is a durable relationship, is superior judges.

What difference does it make to anyone? The constitution is not the place for definition like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I am voting NO (care amendment)

Maybe because they see it effecting them someway?

None of us will ever have to worry about it is a bizarre take

Voting YES for both

In what way? Unless you want to be considered a durable relationship and even then, why wouldn't you be happy with judges deciding?

exacting definitions should not be in the constitution. I believe it should be as general as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Voting YES for both

I read this. My reading of this and my view on the care referendum is this:

1. A no vote keeps sexist language in the constitution.

2. A no vote is unlikely to be viewed by this government or any future government as a massive appeal to review and revisit how care is viewed in the constitution.

3. A no vote is unlikely to result in a redo or alternative vote in the future.

4. A yes vote removes the sexist language from the constitution.

5. A yes vote adds wording about care that doesn't really mean anything in the sense of obliging the government to do anything.

6. A yes vote won't introduce anything which will allow or force the government to do anything more or less than they currently do.

I get that people are angry or upset that this care referendum is pointless and doesn't go far enough. But I don't see any sort of redo in the future, so this may be the only opportunity to remove the outdated reference to women in the home. We'll get a pointless values clause added too, maybe we can add to this in future?

On that basis, I remain a yes/yes.

Who knows? Maybe you don't want a durable relationship possibly being applied to you. Judges will define it as they see fit, not necessarily in your favour or interests. You have to see the hesitation, concerns, confusion.

I don't know what way or if I'll even bother voting. I clicked a button by mistake here trying to look for the numbers, right now here it's No-no 73.5 v 26.5 yes-yes. the polls not the best the way it's setup but there's no way that's happening in reality. Change in attitudes on boards? Thought it was more accurate to actual up until the last pres. vote. I think both will be yes with around 60%

• Advertisement

Voting YES for both

If you don't want it being applied to you, then you wouldn't go to court to make sure your constitutional rights were upheld would ya?

How do you stop the other person/s going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I'll be voting No and No.

There hasn't been a compelling argument made in favour of changing either part of the constitution so if you are going to change it their needs to be a strong argument presented.

I'm voting No due to the durable relationship element of the first one as the government have not been in any way able to clarify what a durable relationship is or is not (can you be in more than one durable relationship at a time, do both people have to be on the same page as regarding being in a durable relationship, i.e. maybe you're just stringing the woman along whereas she thinks it's a serious relationship).If people want the protections of marriage and civil partnership then simply get married or sign a civil partnership agreement,people can say they aren't ready for marriage but marriage should be considered a legal agreement not a romantic gesture and if you want the legal protections afforded to married couples just get married.

I also don't like removing the word Woman from the constitution also.Recognising womens work in the home as part of the constitution also implies that it is real work and the state ha a degree of responsibility to help women as clearly nobody wants women stuck at home full time anymore so recognizing this in the constitution means it puts a burden somewhat on the government to help women with this work so it can enable them to have a career in addition to work in the home.

For the Family care referendum I'm voting No because it seems like the government are giving themselves an out and saying they don't have a responsibility for care for it's citizens.I think for people for are disabled their needs to be a responsibility on the government to look after them should they have no family left to look after them which can happen quite often.I also was disgusted with Minister Heather Humphreys attempting to bribe people into voting yes for this amendment, there is no reason Fine Gael can't allocate more funding for carers right now or in the last 13 years they have been in government, the fact they are so blatantly trying to bribe people into voting one way is despicable.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Voting NO for both

I think the government/media establishment are in for a major humiliation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

Judges are superior? To who?

Watch last night's Prime Time on RTE Player, and see Michael Martin purposely avoiding the question of what is a durable relationship. He must have been asked 5 times and refused to answer.

It is so ridiculously vague I find it impossible to change our Constitution to insert a term that nobody can explain what it means. That's a dangerous precedent in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Voting YES for both

I'm voting yes because it would be hilarious to see the Conservative catholics squirming if a polyamorous family try to get constitutional recognition

Voting YES for both

Superior judges sit in superior courts.

I never said they were superior to anybody

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I am voting YES (care amendment)

Checks what Aontú, Iona Institute and other nuts want, votes the opposite.

Yes/Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Voting NO for both

Haven't SF said they will re run it with different wording?

Either way it seems a very poor reason to Vote Yes and it will be a very good lesson for future Referendums to stop a future Government from introducing stinking turds of amendments on the back of "progressiveness".

Id have liked to get rid of the outdated language, but not at the cost of putting that pile of shite into the constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'm going to go with Yes/Yes I'd say.

From what I can gather, the changes won't make a massive impact but I don't see either of them as reducing anyone's rights under the constitution so that's my main reason for voting yes.

Yer one on Prime Time last night reminded me of Cate Blanchett in the TV series Mrs America!!!

Advertisement