Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

Do government want this to lose? Martin last night and McEntee tonight...hardly confidence inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Voting NO for both

Voting NO to both.

I don't know how you all got your little boxes and header???

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Voting NO for both

I don't know about that, but she will certainly try her blank, gormless expression and flatlined voice on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Voting NO for both

Saw Micheal mcdowell on with ivanna batshit the other night and he seemed to make more sense. So I’ll be doing what he suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I don’t know exactly what way I’ll be voting yet. I just think the whole thing has been messy and from the brief conversations I’ve had with people about it, there seems to be a lot of confusion about the whole thing, which isn’t good.

I will say that I won’t be voting one way or the other based on which outcome certain group(s) are advocating for. I also won’t be using it as a way to give the government of the day a message. That’s what a GE is for. People should vote on their judgment of what they are being asked. It’s why I can’t stand people voting for parties in an election, because your parents or grandparents voted for them. And political parties trying to get people to vote for them “because we aren’t the other lot.” That’s not a valid reason to vote for a political party imo.

• Advertisement

Voting NO for both

A nation holds its breath...🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Voting NO for both

……..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭archfi

Voting NO for both

I can't call it but I really, really, really hope the majority of people who turn out do not succumb to the feelz.

Vote No/No on March 8th.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Voting NO for both

It will cost a lot more to deal with the legel mess that will occur if this is passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I am voting NO (family amendment)

I watched the Prime Time debate and it hasn't really changed my mind. Still leaning towards a yes for care and no for family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Voting No to both.

To me the work and effort put into this Referendum changes leave a lot to be desired. Whilst I agree in principal with what they are attempting to do, I am of the opinion that the vagueness is likely to cause more problems than what they are trying to remedy. My No votes are telling them.....DO YOUR FCKING JOB

• Registered Users Posts: 19,408 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Voting NO for both

Micheal Martin was atrocious last night- if you weren’t decided either way he’d surely make you vote No. His condescending muinteoir routine has gone unchecked for far too long

• Registered Users Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am voting YES (care amendment)

McEntee will already have written down and learned off what she is going to say.....over and over and over again. No matter what the question is....

Actually someone else will have written it down for her.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Voting NO for both

Watching tonight show , I'm now 100% no no.

Voting NO for both

McDowell schooled her there.

Crazy that she said her party colleague was incorrect. I bet she didn't even know what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Voting NO for both

There will always be this there will always be that. McEntee as good at debating as she is her job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

Senator McDowell raised a recent case, taken against Minister McEntee, where a Croatian national married a Brazilian, who was granted a visa for Ireland based on their marriage, then they separated and his new Colombian girlfriend is applying for a visa based on their relationship.

The case is with the European Courts because the Irish courts can't decide on it.

Welcome to "durable relationships" and the mess they will cause.

Migration, taxation, inheritances and much more will be carnage based on this.

Voting NO for both

If you watched tonight show and it's well worth watching on repeat at 11 pm ,there is noway anyone should vote yes after that.

Voting NO for both

Dismal performance from McEntee- she seemed completely bored and out-of-her-depth. On about three occassions she regurgetated sentimental tripe i.e. "There are many different types of families- I don't want them to wake up Saturday morning feeling unrecognised by the constitution". McDowell made very clear, cogent arguments about the ramifications of a yes vote, and really sunk her with that point about the current case taken against her by the Croat national.

As for Norma v. Peadar- Peadar got to the crux of her hollow argument when she was talking about how the governement will "strive" to protect carers--as in what is currently stopping the government to "strive" to protect carers?...crickets.

Voting NO for both

Where on earth was the chief architect of the referenda Roderic throughout this entire campaign? Did he even participate in a single debate? Oh right, Roderic doesn't engage with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Voting NO for both

The simple answer is no. Sinn Fein promised (if it was a no/no) and they get into government they would introduce the Citizen Assembly Recommendations

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/submissions/2022-submission-gender-equality.pdf

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

I am voting NO (care amendment)

NO

200 pc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Voting NO for both

This captures my position I think.

Some of the Yes posters here say that if we don't Vote Yes, no Government will touch those issues again.

But for me that is no reason or excuse to vote Yes to 2 very shoddy amendments. And it also sends a strong message to a Government to do their homework properly next time and not assume that just because they can attach a "progressive" label on it, that they can throw any old shite into an amendment.

And who knows, maybe the next Government might be competent. Wishful thinking perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Voting NO for both

Now now. Only vote once please :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Voting NO for both

A double NO from me.

Unwanted and hectoring legislation like minimum alcohol pricing and the hate speech what-have-you make me deeply distrustful of this government. Who can foretell the potential side-effects of these proposed constitutional changes and the free pass it gives them to land us with more of the same.

Everyone I've talked to about the referendum is voting no too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Voting NO for both

It automatically puts it in once you have voted in the thread poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Voting NO for both

I posted this in the current affairs thread…

I’m a full time carer, not by choice, to my elderly parents. When the HSE or assigned agency carer’s don’t turn up for days on end the response we get from the HSE office is “the family have to do it”. The amendment to the constitution will only enshrine that nasty, uncaring, don’t really give a toss response that I already get. 

VOTE NO!

Also, when I started caring I joined the Family Carers Ireland Facebook page for support and to not feel as alone as I do. I’ve stopped looking at Facebook over the last 5/6 months but I just went onto their page. They have comments turned off on their posts advocating for a yes vote. Looking at the comments section on an unrelated post, family carers are not happy with Family Carers Ireland’s stance and are making their thoughts known on any post they can.

Please read the experiences of actual carers before voting to set in stone that they solely are responsible for providing care. Someday it might be you having to take up the caring role.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Voting NO for both

Just noticed it appearing after posting! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Voting NO for both

Michael McDowell nailed it last night, he is making the most coherent case against voting Yes if you have a brain and made McEntee look like a 6th year student. His arguments only reinforced the No vote for me. People saying use FLAC and the courts system have obviously never tried to get an appointment with FLAC, it takes up to a year. All these services are under HUGE pressure with the growing population but the Government go on air and blithely tell the peasants to join the ever lengthening queue!!

Also the money to go to court is order to get a definition is absurd, only for the case to be possibly be sent to the European courts! Anyone voting Yes to such uncertainty is mad!

As for the Care referendum, its easy when you're young and healthy to think voting Yes is progressive , wait until you have a child with disabilities, or an elderly parent who you cannot get into a care home! Its happens to a huge amount of us, its called LIFE! Then you're on your own as the Goverment "strive" to help and support you but find other bigger, more politically correct causes to worry about like supporting trans men to have abortions .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

Voting NO for both

I think anybody who would vote yes after all this is just a numpty, they think they are doing the right / progressive / forward thinking thing, but they dont really understand it, like the rest of us!

Advertisement