Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 8th - What’s your vote? **Mod Note In Post #677**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭griffin100

Voted No for both.

I am pale, male and stale though so no surprise there.

I’ve been voting in referenda for over 30 years now. For EU related votes I’ve always voted in favour of the government line. Back in the day I voted for divorce; I voted for SSM; I abstained from the abortion vote as I was leaning towards No but I didn’t feel comfortable voting against the proposal (In the early 90’s I collected signatures in favour of an abortion referendum on O’Connell Street and fought with SPUC nut jobs, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve become a bit more conservative on this issue).

I had planned on voting Yes today until I started reading about the proposals and listened to the debates. I had assumed that the government would give us a well thought out text and could show benefit from any constitutional changes. They did the exact opposite. The final push for me towards No was Helen McEntee doing a Helen Lovejoy on Primetime with her won’t someone think of the children crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The family amendment was at 4/11 to be No.

The care amendment was at 2/7 to be No.

Time: 20:44

I think that double No was at 4/9.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Voting NO for both

why would you assume most who are voting in this referendum will be "married folk"???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Voting NO for both

My local polling station in Dublin 7 was pretty quiet when I went there to vote at 4pm, after finishing my work for the week.

A few frail old dears being helped into the school building, but that's been the case the last few times I was there for general election in 2020 and the 2018 abortion referendum. The elderly get out to vote or are helped get out to vote.

The young lads staffing the polling table told me it had been very quiet but was picking up a bit. Cast my no/no votes and off I went.

For the record, I am a 48 year old gay man in a long-term relationship, would hold pretty centre-left political views (I believe in common sense and fairness), I voted yes to repeal the 8th in 2018 and have always voted for progressive social change in referenda right back to the first one I voted in as a college student, the 1995 divorce referendum.

This was a complete botch job of a referendum by an utterly inept and out of touch govt and that's why I rejected their very poorly thought-out proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Voting NO for both

deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

Voting NO for both

No No 4/9 ... Yes Yes 3/1.. Family referendum No 4/11 Yes 15/8... Care referendum No 2/7 Yes 9/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭pj12332

I took 10/11 and 4 to 6 in a double this morning. The prices closed in a good bit. A lot of people must think it's gonna be a no no. However knowing my betting history it will likely go the other way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I am voting NO (care amendment)

Boyle. Just search.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭dasdog

Voting NO for both

[X] No to Article 41.1.1 - Amending a constitution with vague language is ridiculous.

[X] No to Article 41.3.1 - Not that I disagree but this to me is a non-issue.

Constitutional changes should be important like the campaign to repeal the eighth amendment. It's a distraction and shows how all of our political parties are completely out of touch. I was disengaged but could not let this slip and I hope both get rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I am voting NO (family amendment)

I threw €50 down myself yesterday. I wouldn't read too much into the odds moving, I bet €150 on the last election date and it moved the odds so a relatively small amount of money will do that on the more novelty bets.

Cheers, they were taken down briefly. I can see them there now again.

Nice little bet if it comes in for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Voting NO for both

Well, I've kept to my word and went straight to vote after work and voted no on both accounts. I think it's too vague and when i hear people like Micheál Martin who said "We never got a bailout" and Leo Varadkar speaking in general, is a turn off. At the end of the day these are tokenistic votes, Why weren't we given votes on water ownership etc?

I think it's just for the current parties to point and look at their achievements. Kinda like the same-sex marriage, All for it when the tide blows and then claim the victory. Women have the right to make up their own minds on what they choose, and i feel there's a bit "Neo-liberalism" going on here as well. I voted yes for same-sex marriage but i'm getting some vibes and doubts from this and seeing as they couldn't explain proper, I voted no to both accounts

Post edited by Scipri0 on

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Voting NO for both

I can’t wait to see the Government try and blame ‘The Far Right’ and ‘Russian disinformation’ tomorrow for their embarrassing lack of ability to read the room

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭This is it

Voting NO for both

When are results expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Voting NO for both

That is true, I forgot about the "racist" referendum we had to address an anomaly introduced by the good Friday agreement. That said, it was backed by the government, McDowell iirc. If no-no prevails in both tomorrow he will have led the charge on 4 successful referendum campaigns.

At the time of the 2004 vote, it didn't feel like the turning point that this one could be. The atmosphere online indicates to me at least that this is the foreshock of anti establishment sentiment that will sweep away large numbers of local reps from traditional parties at the summer elections.

That said, Yes could still romp home here and that anger at government is overstated. No one knows yet.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mumto1

Voting NO for both

#Voted NoNo

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

Voting NO for both

When enough Yes votes have been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Voting NO for both

Had people walking into my booth at 9.55.

The feckers had from 7am and left it till the last 5 minutes.

Picked up in the late afternoon/ evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Voting NO for both

Probably shift workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I'd dearly love to see the statistics prove you incorrect. There are many, many more threads on boards populated by more women than men and to suggest that Conservative men are all that posts on the subject is just lazy. This is a general two-barrels backlash at a government that has taken this country down a very dangerous path while ignoring the mandates of the logical, educated, experienced and pragmatic demographic. Outside the airy-fairy bubble, many millions of people in this country are barely surviving day to day. Keeping jobs, getting kids through college, home energy costs, waiting months for health appointments etc are way, way up the list of priorities. And then there's Eamon Ryan.

This is the beginning of the end for this government. Next will be the Local elections.

I live in a household of 4 women, ( partner and 3 young adult kids) and all voted No.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Voting NO for both

Voted around 4pm

Nobody but myself there at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Voting NO for both

You were paid to be there til 10. What's the hourly rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Voting YES for both

I went on my way to work at 9.30, was very quiet in Dublin 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Voting YES for both

Well over half the voting age population are currently married, and certainly in a referendum like this with low turnout that %age will trend even higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Voting NO for both

I voted No to both.

The "Durable Relationships" being undefined is what I am voting no to that referendum. Its a Pandora's Box. I would have voted yes to this part if "durable relationships" was not contained in it. Something with implications for family law, child custody, inheritance and immigration policy (family reunification in particular) is actually way more complicated than how the government presented it. It is not just about single parent families. I would have voted yes to constitutional recognition of single parent families and unmarried parent families had it been written like that. "Durable Relationships" is far too vague. And the AG advice that The Ditch revealed backs up my concerns.

I was less sure on the other one, the so called "women in the home" article. The solution on this would have been to add something on father's duties in raising the child. Instead they decided to delete the reference to mother's altogether. This is throwing out (no pun intended) the baby with the bathwater. I am concerned that deleting it would make it harder for mothers to defend things like carer's allowance in the courts. There is a pending courtcase based on Article 41.2 by a mother of a disabled child who was refused carer's allowance by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭maebee

Voting YES for both

Wouldn't fault them on that. They had a busy day and still found the time to do their duty at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Voting NO for both

How do you know they had a busy day?

• Advertisement
Advertisement