Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wattbike

Options
  • 18-02-2024 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello all, does anyone know if the Wattbike Atom is available in Ireland? Cigala have the Atom X on their website for nearly 6 grand! I could have sworn I saw a price of around €1500 before but I can’t seem to find any info on it online.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll probably find most people here when doing indoor training, use turbo trainers; you'd buy a high end turbo and secondhand bike for less than that €1.5k and you'd also be able to plug into a laptop and get access to loads of training appas and simulators.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The Atom X is the gym version, heavier/sturdier, but alot more expensive, haven't seen anyone selling the Atom on its own for ages but you are right, it was way cheaper a few years ago.

As @magicbastarder says, a decent wheel off smart trainer will be far cheaper, if you already have a bike and laptop. Presumably hold a better % resale value as well

• Registered Users Posts: 20 OnTheCorner

I already have a Wahoo Kickr but we’ve just had our attic converted and I want a more permanent setup there. Don’t want to be bringing the bike up and down every time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just buy a secondhand bike on adverts! if you already have a kickr, i would have thought that'd be a no-brainer financially; all you'd need would be a (say) 10 year old bike and perhaps a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I was interested in a wattbike Atom when launched (pre-brexit). I gave up on the idea after Wattbike upped the ie price by a considerable amount. They said it was for the warranty and a massive shipping fee (€210 for 44kg by road!). I tried to explain they could not have different pricing for Ireland over UK or other EC countries They would not explain further and adopted a take it or leave it approach. With that sales attitude, I left it.

If you want a full bike set up perhaps Wahoo, Stages or Tacx bikes are worth looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Also Decathlon have a smart bike out or coming soon. Haven't seen the Rainmaker/ Llama lab reviews yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ottolwinner

from my experience the pro are much more robust than the atom. I’ve two of them they connect to Strava and all usuall apps. A lot more affordable too.

I see a lot of discontent with the atoms and various bolts like these at posts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Unfortunately, I don't believe the what bike atom is available in Ireland, or indeed anywhere outside the UK due to issues with them no longer being in the EU.

Your best alternative would probably be the Wahoo KICKR bike shift currently available for €3135 from bike24, or if you fancied spending a thousand more. You could get the regular KICKR bike, which has ability to tilt up and down to simulate going up and down hill.

https://www.bike24.com/p2782195.html

You can also buy directly from Wahoo, but it's a little bit more expensive.

Bike24 also have the smart bike that I currently have, which is the Stages SB20 For €2411. Although I worry about what support is like from Stages due to them, apparently no longer manufacturing the bike, but I can confirm that it is a solid bike and it has dual power metres, one on each crank, which are the same that Stages uses on its crank based power metres for outdoor use.

Of course, as others have said above, the cheapest option would be to get a regular trainer and then if you didn't have a bike suitable for the trainer or just wanted one to mount permanently to it. You can pick one up fairly cheaply second-hand on the likes of Done Deal or Adverts fairly cheaply in comparison to a smart bike.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Advertisement