Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creaking floors upstairs since house was built 6 years ago

• 19-02-2024 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I bought a 'builders finish' semi-detached house in August 2018. This is a photo of the flooring that was put down upstairs: https://ibb.co/QNLYWDZ (and it's finished with a carpet on top in all the bedrooms and stairs/landing.

Since I moved in, the floors upstairs are very creaky in numerous areas. I initially thought it was just that it needed time to settle. And to be honest over time I just sort of got used to it. But now with 2 young (very active!) kids, the noise of creaking floors is very loud and annoying when Im downstairs and the kids are upstairs.

Also recently I started doing house viewings with a friend who is planning to buy. We've visited some show houses in new developments, and I noticed the floors werent creaking in those houses.

So what Im wondering is, should my floors be making so much noise? Did the builders do something wrong when they were flooring the house? How common is this issue in new builds?

Appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, looking at that floor for all the dust we can't see how many screws they used. For a good solid floor you would probably need around 8 or 10 screws per m2. Give it a sweep and see if you can show us the screw positions and we might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Lauras Law

That's a photo from 6 years ago. There's carpet fitted on top of it now. And I don't know how many screws were used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This reminds me of ....

I remember in a house we had the stairs used to creak like crazy. Drove me nuts. And no help from the builders etc etc.

Then we got a carpenter around who completely fixed the problem in an hour with shims he applied under the stairs after gaining access under the stairs to the exact spots with some very careful exploration and drilling.

And he didn't even charge us or only a few quid for the work.

Honestly, not going to help you, but I am still amazed that happened. There are some good people out there despite all the **** that's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Unfortunately you'd have to have a peep to see what's going on. You could just lift about a meter of the carpet and underlay from the corner and that should be enough to work out what the rest of the room looks like. 👍️

Advertisement