Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas fireplace warning

Options
  • 19-02-2024 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what this tag is? Found it in a property visited recently which had gas open fire !

The gas device in fireplace not working/leaking or a bigger issue in chimney?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That is a tag applied by an RGI to alert you as per what's written there. Unless there is perhaps a note on the rear or an obvious indication of the fault, then it's not possible for us to say, but as you mentioned it could be a fault with either the fireplace, chimney or ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Or all 3. I bought a house that had a gas fireplace connected to what looked like a very old 147kg cylinder outside. It had been tenanted since it was built 30 years ago so after noticing that literally every single fixed electrical was either broken or damaged I decided to not even try. Which was a good thing as a month or two later when I noticed there was no air in the house I discovered most of the vents were completely stuffed with 1995 newspapers & when I got it removed months later to install a wood burning stove, it transpired that someone has also stuffed the chimney with bricks. No warning either - it would have been lethal, if it worked at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We are about to close on a house with a wood burning stove in the fireplace. The surveyor spotted that the flu only goes about a meter up into the chimney. Will have to get a flu that goes all the way up before lighting it or live with the possibility of death.

Advertisement