Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experts? Civil Service revert to previous grade

• 20-02-2024 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭

Anyone answer this? Promoted to HEO in internal competition. Personal circumstances changed so considering reverting back to EO which have discussed with union but old job is gone anyway. So then get called for Stage 3 InterD HEO comp in preferred location ( was still EO when applied for this). Is it ok to do stage 3 and then revert officially to EO if offered InterD HEO post?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Yes, there is nothing to prevent you taking up an EO job and resigning your heo job. More problematic would be trying to return to whatever point on the scale you were on, but this should ultimately be possible.

However are you sure you want to? CS are generally reasonably flexible when it comes to accommodating personal circumstances, especially on a temporary basis. i suggest you approach employer, tell them of your difficulties and explain you are contemplating reversion, see what they say and see whether they can accomodate your personal circumstances rather than you reverting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Thanks. Have been over it with employer. They can't accommodate me apart from really short term which doesn't really help. I'm not in my new post 2 yrs anyway so can't get transfer.

I'm wondering more would I be technically breaking the competition rules doing Stage 3 of the InterD HEO competition while I am already a serving HEO through an internal comp. ( I was still EO when I applied for InterD HEO competition)

I suppose I don't want to revert to EO just yet before Stage 3 - what if I wasn't successful in the InterD. I'd have lost my current HEO post. If that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You would need to check the details of the rules of the competition, talk to PAS.

I think you are still eligible, but best to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭2021_AP

I would go ahead with interview. Is there any way to make discreet enquiries into how long a reversion would take to process in the event that you pass interview and might be placed quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

In general, you cannot be in an InterD only competition unless you're in a grade lower than the grade you're looking for promotion in.

If there's an Open stream to the competition you'll be eligible for that (although that's relatively uncommon for HEO positions in the CS).

Regardless, you should check the exact wording from the competition booklet. You should also make sure you're not already disqualified be having been promoted to HEO since applying - there's no sense in factoring it in to a reversion decision if you're fully ineligible already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement