Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2024

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was an anticlimactic finish from way out. Hole 11 did a huge chunk of damage.

I didn't want to say anything during the tournament, because anything I say puts a hex on them, but I thought Aberg had a big chance to win the Masters this year(though it's probably too soon). But that's a great debut, that can only stand to him. Experience around this course is invaluable, just ask Tiger Woods.

Scheffler played well, but there was no pressure on him after the turn. And Aberg did his best scoring on the front 9 over the 4 days, -9, whereas he was 2 or 3 over for the back 9.

Morikawa fell apart, after talking confidently before the start of the final round. Starting the day 1 shot behind, he was lucky not to finish in a share for joint 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,889 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All a bit of an anticlimax, simply cos Scottie was rock solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,568 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Always enjoy reading this golf discussion … about high finishes by Irish golfers at the Masters,

People may dismiss it as back-door but Rory did finish second two years ago. (Scheffler also won that, and third in 2022 was Lowry tied with Cam Smith). Rory has also finished 4th (2015) and t-5 twice (2018, 2020).

Other than that, I looked up various Irish golfers (a few new to me) and found these to be their best finishes at Masters:

Lowry _____ T3 in 2022

Harrington _ T5 in 2002, and 2008

Clarke ____ T8 in 1998

McDowell __ T12 in 2012

Rafferty ___ T14 in 1990

McNulty ___ T16 in 1988 (Irish citizen in 2003 anyway, nationality Zimbabwean)

McGinley __ T18 in 2002

Power ____ T27 in 2022

Joe Carr ___ 52nd in 1968

David Feherty _ T52 in 1992

O'Connor Jr _ played once (1977) missed cut

McGimpsey _ played once (1986) missed cut

Michael Hoey _ played once (2002) missed cut

McElhinney _ played once (2006) missed cut

Alan Dunbar _ played once (2013) missed cut

Sugrue __ played once (2020) missed cut

Mathew McLean _ played once (2023) missed cut

Post edited by M.T. Cranium on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mathew McLean played last year, missed the cut on +7

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,568 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Will add that one to list, thanks.

Trivia … all eleven weekend players who were on +6 after Friday would have been knocked out if Wyndham Clark could have gone one under par on 17 and 18, but he went one over, missed the cut himself at +7, and let all +6's in (50th and ties).

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,058 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

One thing I really noticed was Aberg was totally cool and composed, like he was out there playing a round with his mates. All smiles, no stress, no fuss. As I said already, his pace of play puts most of the others to shame, no messing about with 15 practice swings and 10 reads of the stroke saver. He's not over thinking anything.

Even when the put the ball in the water at 11 he was smiling and relaxed and then got straight back on the horse with the eagle.

He definitely has the ability, he also seems to have the head for it, his future looks very bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

then you should have a better comprehension of how hard it is to get on tour at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

what actually annoys me about the Masters now is the lack of coverage, they have cameras on every hole but you see minimal golf outside of a few groups..so sick of watching sky coverage with Nick Faldo or butch or Dame Laura going on and on…we just want to see the golf…I used to love watching the Masters, but with every year it feels more and more pretentious…patrons instead of spectators, those white boiler suits the caddies have to wear, a fan, who maybe his only ever time being there getting thrown out for running to try to get a good spot…its all just a bit much, ceremonial tee shots, does that happen at the other majors? Players know the course too well…if not for the wind this weekend Scottie would have probably shot close to -20…maybe its just me but I prefer the Open now..you might actually get a ticket for that. I've tried for the ballot for years, yet I know wealthy guys who have gone 5/6 times…money talks…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yes the coverage is shocking.

As you said they only seem to concentrate on a few select groups now.

Last night they were mostly showing the last group for the last hour or so, showing them walking along, walking between holes. Ad every few minutes then when they come back from the ad they have to show the scoreboard, why ? its in the bottom right of the screen.

The maount of actual golf shown if you took out the putting, is tiny.

Sky dont even know what clubs players are hitting most of the time, they block most of the sound of the crowd out.

If you recorded it and were able to fast forward through all the dead time, like ads, players walking or interviews it would be good but as it is its a chore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

You see nothing but golf on LIV........

Just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Im not interested in watching mercenaries playing in some micky mouse events.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Advertisement