Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine tree stump.

Options
  • 20-02-2024 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

A nightmare trying to remove this pine tree stump..if I just cut it low and lay a concrete, 5" thick shed floor on it...Will it regrow ?

Post edited by Trebhygt on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Get a metal bucket. Drill lots of holes into the sides. Dig in a bit below the ground level around the stump.

Then get a bag of charcoal for a BBQ and pour in all along the sides and light it. Empty the bag on top when the charcoal is well lit.

Put the bucket upside down over the stump with the charcoal inside the bucket. Stand on it while its cool to push it down.

Come back in the morning and the stump will be gone and never come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Trebhygt

Thanks for that, thought of drilling holes and pouring petrol etc. but will go with your idea.👍

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Fallout2022

If you want to leave it there then if you properly poison or kill it - it won't regrow. But it will stay as is. The wood doesn't disintegrate just

because it's dead. Glyphosate should do.

It could also be removed but takes time and hard work. A small spade or trowell and a digging knife.

remove the earth from around the roots. Work down to clear around all the root system. It's a slow process.

A crow bar then and push the whole thing out of the ground. A hand saw or mini chainsaw to cut off any troublesome roots.

Alternatively when you have the job part done you may be able to wrap a chain around it and pull it out with a 4x4.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just do what you suggested, cut it down low and concrete over it. It is not going to regrow, not the slightest chance.

Definitely would be the easiest solution .🙂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's pine, it won't grow back; unless it's a yew tree. all other pine trees will have been killed simply by chopping it down.

i've dug out a few stumps like that over the years. tough going, but it's doable.

Pretty sure it,s a pine (conifer)...these are some of the branches and a similar tree out front.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

That isn't yew so you are fine in terms of regrowth as others have said

Yew has red berries and is fairly rare as most have been cut down by farmers as the leaves and berries are toxic to livestock and I have only seen one in the last ten years outside of a graveyard

So cut the stump lower and lay my concrete flooring and all is good ?

Actually just seen your edited post with the additional picture with the tree before felling and it could be yew

• Advertisement

Would never have seen red berries on it.

The original image you posted of the branches do not look like Irish yew, but there are other varieties, which is throwing me on giving a definite answer as I am only starting with native Irish trees in terms of tree identification.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks like a Leylandii, very common and totally useless garden tree. I had one and left the stump to rot and it came apart very easily with a sledge hammer. Very satisfying work. After I cut mine down to the stump, nothing ever grew back from the tree.

🙂🙂 Were planted before I bought house...as you said, useless garden tree...Will lower the stump and cover with concrete for a shed floor.👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's a chamaecyparis, most likely 'ellwoodii', as Looksee said not a chance it will regrow, cut lower and concrete away.

Thanks.👍

Advertisement