Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid 90s detached house, can’t find ESB meter

Options
  • 20-02-2024 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Strange one, I just moved into a mid 90s one off house down a lane in Meath. To my surprise when I opened what looks like the ESB cabinet on the side of the house there is no ESB meter but only some sort of box with a fuse (pic attached. The fuse board is in the basement utility room.

I’ve looked all around the house inside and out but can’t find the meter. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Something?! Looks like you are missing a meter. What size is that fuse?

Can you identify where your power comes from? The pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Looks like this box does not seem to have any Esb security tags on it so either the meter is upstream of the house or else it's a grow house.

Any linked farm buildings next door?

Meter could beside a farm meter

Any picts of the consumer unit

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Here is the consumer unit, which is floor -1.

There are no farm buildings as such but a small stable about 50 meters down a paddock, there is also a new private well pump which has power to it 10 meters from the house.

As for where the cables from the cabinet go it’s hard to tell. Looks like the grey cable goes horizontal into the house and the black towards the ground

if you call esb networks or call into them if they are in the newest town, with the MPRN, they should be able to tell you as the meter reader will need to know

Are you renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Meter out by the front wall or against another external wall?

Is there an indication that the house receives electricity bills and are they marked as estimated?

• Advertisement

Mystery solved, managed to get the EA to contact the previous owners. The poster who mentioned the farm buildings was on the money.

It’s behind the derelict stable which is about 80 meters from the house 😮

I believe the stable pre-dated the house and there was a running track here so they must have used the pre-existing connection down there to link the house. I forgot to bring a socket bit to open it but apparently it’s a smart meter so ESB must have been happy with the location recently.

Thanks, nice gaff if that second picture is all yours!

Keep well

Cheers, it’s all new to me. I grew up in D5, now I’ve 5 acres in Meath 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You'll miss St Anne's park and Dollymount beach though 😊

Very true, I was only 5 mins from both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement