Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning money on maternity leave

• 20-02-2024 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm due a baby over the summer. I'm fortunate to get full pay for 6 months while on maternity leave as employer tops up the maternity benefit.

We're hoping to buy a house next year and so saving every bit we can. In my industry there's loads of well-paid freelance remote UK work available. I was thinking I could do this one day a week once baby is a few months old. It would significantly boost our savings.

There's no contractual issue with the additional work, but am I allowed to do this while receiving my maternity pay/benefit? Or should I wait until I'm on unpaid leave? I know I'd need to file a tax return.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

You would also need to repay the state maternity benefit for the days you are working

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

You're going to have your hands so full with the new arrival, even getting a decent sleep will be a pipe dream. Forget work for the time off and concentrate on what's important, you'll be back to the grind before you even know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

First baby? Unless you have other really good help in the house forget about work. First three months you are an on duty carer 24hrs a day. It gets a bit easier as they get older but not much.

I wouldn't even entertain the notion of paid work on ML. It's an added pressure that if you can do without, you absolutely should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Thank you caviardreams that's exactly the info I was looking for! Paying it back would be ok - would this happen with my tax return or do I notify revenue some other way? Would seeing a financial advisor/accountant be a good idea to discuss all implications? Never seen either before so wouldn't know where to begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Thanks for your reply DarkJager21! Not my first baby so the early months are familiar to me 😅 it's definitely a concern though and I see your point 100%. It's just the market at the moment, the extra money is so needed 😓 I won't be making any definite decisions until baby is at least a few months old so I can see how sleep is etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

It would be through dept spcial protection as they make the payment and look after paperwork etc. You could notify them you would only be claiming the state payment for 4 days per week if that was the case

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/maternity-leave/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

re

There's no contractual issue with the additional work

How do you know this?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

Once a return to paid work, even if only a single day, payment of maternity benefit must cease.

Advertisement