Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have teens. How do I change the Wifi router password?!

Options
  • 20-02-2024 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

I'm not even sure I'm using the right vocabulary. As per title. I have teens. Want to control their internet usage. (Want some leverage over them basically.) Rather than unplugging the modem altogether, is there a way to change the access password or can they always access wifi once the have the password from the bottom of the modem?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

You need to find the admin login details on the router.

Usually a web address with a router admin username and password.

something like:

Web address: Http://192.168.1.1

Username: Admin

Password: E1F5DBJ6S4G7

Login with a browser and go to the security section and change the wifi password / security key.

Does your router have a mobile app? It can be easier to use the scheduling section of the app to turn off internet access. Unless you want to boot the kids off and keep yourself on 😄. In that case maybe wifi password / security key change is better.

Also you'll want to change the Admin password or the kids will be able to login and change the wifi password / security key themselves.

1 more thing to keep in mind the router will have a factory reset pin hole which resets the wifi password / security key to whats on the router label.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Do they have phones with 4/5G? Cause they'll just use their data then..

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Murt2024

Good luck with that in this day and age controlling their internet usage. They'll just get a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What you need to do is have parental controls on their phones

we have our kids iPhones accounts linked you our family group and that way we can set the parameters for all their access no matter where they use the phone, WiFi, 4/5G or someone else’s WiFi…. We can see it

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭selfbuildache

Thank you! I'll give that a go tomorrow. Yep, I want to be able to boot the kids off and keep ourselves on😉

• Advertisement

Indeed they do. But they're very precious about their own data....

The fight goes on. But, as above, they're quite precious about their own data. I have to keep trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I had that,I thought it was working great until I asked my son about an email and he logged in with another account details in front of me,it works until they figure out that's all they have to do, once one of their friends know it they all do.

Yes, I used to have that. Worked great too. Unfortunately, they got older, (one is 16, going on 60, with all he thinks he knows) got their own phones with their own money and set up, minus parental controls. We were having battles about 'rights, self-control, respect' 🙄 and all that jazz and I didn't insist on the controls with the new phones. And here we are in this wonderful world/battle of 'parenting' teens...

I added a few more points to my post. At least if you get the router shut down thats console / pc gaming shut down also as usually mobile hotspots are not good enough. Yeah as others have said not much can be done about 4g / 5g. Get a safe and lock the phones in it 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Can I ask you what you use? We used Google Family Link for a couple of years, which worked well for us until we went and bought our eldest an iPhone. Family Link is pretty much useless to us now when it comes to restricting the app usage on her iPhone. Now, I have to manually apply the Screentime/Downtime settings on her phone. Pain in the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Murt2024

That doesn't work, they'll just pick up another 50 euro phone and use that for their other stuff.

Also for OP a three 20 euro sim card has unlimited data - I'm sure they won't mind spending that.

We all have iPhones so it works grand for us

i don’t know if there is a solution if you don’t have iPhone also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Thought most Sims have unlimited data now.

My 48 plan has unlimited data for 12.99 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Parental controls on teenagers phones ?

Maybe 8-12 yr. Olds

Teenagers are past that stage

Yes. My kids don’t get phones till they do their confirmation so are almost teenagers at that stage anyway.

you can do it differently if that’s what you choose, but thems the rules in our house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Hooked

Ah - yes. If you're under 18 and living under MY roof - you best be sure I'm setting the rules (in control)!

To the OP - changing the password isn't really going to achieve anything - as they'll have to be given the new password, even for their limited use - so they'll have it then to use all the time, no?

Change it when you want to limit use. Then change it back.

Should work until they figure out how to hard reset the router.

Im interested in anyone having success as it sure wont be easy. We have a teenager starting secondary school. Will need to limit internet access soon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If they have a phone with 4g or 5g, they'll just bypass the WiFi.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I never made any attempt to restrict or censor my kids use of the internet. Both are now adults with tertiary degrees and neithier is known to the guards.

Many routers have guest network abilities. That might be a way to exercise control without sacrificing your own usage. Give the kids access to only the guest network then control that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Take the phone off him.

Don't you just hate when you wrote a reply and didn't click post... think you did actually post it and then realise an hour later you didn't post it and the draft never saved! ☹️

Anyway, I'll try again

Here is a possible solution for you @selfbuildache . A couple of years ago I got a Deco Mesh network, basically because our internet providers modems were crap and this gives us a much more stable network. But it does give much more, a lot which I don't even use I'm sure.

I have an App on my phone which I can manage the network from. A home and guest network. I think the idea of the guest network is for added security. Anytime someone new connects to the network, I get a notification and can even kick them off the network. So for example, my kids have the password for the guest network and they have given access to their friends when they are over.

I just went in there and had a look at my app, and I was even able to update the firmware on one of our network points, even though I'm out at work.

I'm pretty sure this is the game changer for you though, it comes with Parental controls. So essentially I can set up my kids and allocate any device they own to their profile. I can then limit their access to the network, such as set time limits, bed time shut off, block and filter certain content.

I'd love 🤣 emojis where there is the 'Thanks' button....

Yeah, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of being able to change it regularly, as their behaviour permits. Eg: 'When you have done A,B & C you will receive today's password.' or 'It's gone for a week until ABC happens.' .... Yeah, it sounds ridiculous even as I type it...🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Android devices, just use Google Family Link. Flaky at times but free, and works well for us.

Firestick apps like Netflix and YouTube, you can set a pin albeit not for Prime as from what I can see they just go in through the tile display on the firestick home.

Playstation, we just put the controllers away where they can't get them.

This isn't controlling content BTW, it's just to stop them sneaking up all night watching stuff, especially on school nights.

As said by others, we can access the router as Admin too. I have only devices we know that can access the home network and you can disable specific devices.

As for teenagers being too old for parental time limits. Fck that. I'm paying for the device and bill and they're not staying up all night on school nights or if they've an early start the next day.

Post edited by andekwarhola on

Yeah, that's the one I used to have a few years back when I did Airbnb. Thought there might still be something similar.

As to kids being grand in the future no matter what we do, if we're trying our best etc. this theory is great but doesn't stop me worrying and keeping on trying. My own mother calls this her revenge for what she had to go through with me. She tells me constantly how they'll be grand and laughs out of the side of her face😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In my experience your mother is right. I know mine pretty much always was.

Advertisement