Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stud wall without Head Plate

• 20-02-2024 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

I'm renovating a bathroom. I have replaced the floor with 18mm ply with lots of noggins and screws and it is now really solid. I now need to address the walls. For starters, I need to build a stud wall where the sink will stand and which will create the corner for the raised shower (800mm x 800mm). I have positioned noggins into which the Sole plate can be screwed - in addition to the joists. Can I bolt the studs onto the rafters rather than having a head plate? Or perhaps screw the studs to the rafters using coach screws. The ceiling is slopped where the wall will meet it, which means I would need to cut along the length of the plate to create a vertical edge. I don't have any electrical saw that would do this and not sure if it's worth buying one. That's why I'm wondering if it's just as good to bolt to the rafters instead. I will be tilling this wall. The piece of skirting in the picture is where the wall will sit. The second picture shows the rafters.

Im also thinking of using 90 degree brackets to connect the studs to the sole plate. These have a hole through which a bolt can be fed. I used these too under the floor where noggins met the joist under the wall in the first picture.

There was a door in the room before which I removed and insulated behind using metac a few years ago. The room had a mad layout previously. I will put a storage room behind the new wall.

Fan will need to be moved since it will be above the shower otherwise.

Comments

Advertisement