Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Recruitment 2024

Options
  • 21-02-2024 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Evening all,

Assuming people have watched today's ongoings and was curious to know whether there are folk interested in applying to Garda Reserve recruitment campaign in the coming week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kaya1

Yes I would be interested. They haven’t had a recruitment for the reserve in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cian 3187

I believe the last recruitment campaign was 2017/2018 which I applied for and interviewed in the public appointment offices but failed to complete the BER form - Mistakes on my part and quite frankly - Disorganised.

It will be interesting to see, their "modern approach to training" and what that implies - Will the training be of a longer duration and what increased powers Garda Reserves will have. They were looking into permitting Reserves to patroll without a full time Garda.

Talks that recruitment will commence in the very near future. . I would have assumed that they would concentrate on the main force recruitment campaign but that doesn't seem to be the case.

All in all, I am delighted to see this campaign get the go ahead. Hopefully we meet along the way and train in Templemore together!

Maybe a WhatsApp group for those who express interest here, may not be a bad idea ?

Have a nice evening.

Cian - Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭VonLuck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

Never really considered doing this before today's increase announcement.

Does anyone know if the training counts towards your hours or will you be paid for it?

I assume travel and sub will be available for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Numbersman

Morning all,

Nice to see a new thread up for the campaign. Thinking of going for it myself always had the bit of interest here and there for Gardai and policing work but now with the campaign I’m certainly mulling it over a bit more in my head.

I’ve seen from some of the other earlier campaigns people can be waiting years to get their training so that seems a bit off putting but never the less I’m looking over the stage 1 material and trying to learn more about what’s involved.

Not sure if training counts towards hours but might see if I come across that in my review.

Best of luck with yourselfs over the period of the stages and sure who knows may even see ye around again at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 ian 21

Do you get paid for trainingof course if you get accepted, considering garda reserve us voluntary and most would have a full time job don't exactly want to be loosing out on 2 weeks wages

Good question. I've no idea, but I would assume it has to either be paid, held on weekends or possibly both. They would loose a lot of applicants if they discovered they would have to sacrifice two weeks of holidays to do the training.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There is no pay for training, but would expect the time is calculated towards your allowance payment. I believe there is weekend training in Templemore, training and other time spent in stations, and this time around I believe some remote training. Nobody is expecting you to give up two solid weeks in a block, but equally if you are talking about being paid for training for a voluntary role you want to do, it might not be the right attitude to have.

My point about it being paid is either it counts towards your "allowance" or that you are compensated for taking a full two weeks off work. I fully appreciate that it's a voluntary role but if a solid two week block of training would be challenging for most to do and figured that they would need to be compensated accordingly to get people interested in taking on the role (assuming it's actually a solid two weeks).

Exactly as pointed out here. Your response is a little contradictory it's voluntary so you can't be expected to give up 2 weeks of a job and not be compensated I couldn't imagine this to be the case , we are all trying to figure these things out such smart sarcastic replies don't help

Everyone Has bills to pay and some have kids who need to be looked after aswell if we could afford to be out of pocket for the length of time I couldn't imagine a job would be of much importance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 popsmoke

I applied. Hoping to hear back in August. From what I have heard , it's a long process.

Does everyone get an interview after the OOM process

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭gailgo

email of assessment results out today

• Registered Users Posts: 3 princeton104

got my results today ! Did anyone else hear from them

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Barmanhu

Hi, anyone else get email today? Just wondering about order of merit. Is that nationwide or per county?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Picky owner

I would imagine it's nationwide..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 princeton104

nationwide I’d imagine

I got 1092 , don't know what happens next anyone any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 popsmoke

I got my email today. Starting stage 2 interviews on Monday the 26th of August. I think it's a waiting game now until we get notified for the interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 g69wdw

Interviewing oom of up to 198 first. They will interview more then after the first 198 have been interviewed (certain amount won’t pass etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

From the message:

A candidate's ranking on the order of merit will determine if/when they may be invited to the Stage 2 online Interview. Should you be among those invited, you will receive a message on your publicjobs.ie messageboard. The number of candidates invited to interview will be determined by the number of vacancies received from An Garda Síochána throughout the period of the panel.  

Those placed highest on the OOM will be invited to interview in the first batch, which will begin on Monday 26th August.  This batch is expected to include those candidates placed up to and including place 198 on the OOM.  These candidates will receive a message to their publicjobs messageboard shortly with details about Stage 2. 

Please note that we do not have advance knowledge of the number of vacancies that may arise in any location.  Should further vacancies arise and your place on the order of merit be reached, we will contact you.

You are advised to check your publicjobs messageboard regularly and to set up SMS alerts on your publicjobs profile so you will be informed should you receive a message on your messageboard. publicjobs accepts no responsibility for communication not accessed or received by an applicant. You must ensure that you regularly check your messageboard and access all communications from publicjobs.

An invitation to attend any part of the selection process is not to be taken as implying that publicjobs is satisfied that you fulfil the eligibility criteria for this competition.

A strange way of doing it. You don't know where the first 198 in the OOM have applied for so some rural station in Cork for instance may not be interviewing anyone in the first batch.

How many vacancies are there nationwide by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 g69wdw

Not much information been given. No idea how many vacancies. I’m surprised there has been no talk as to how many people have applied

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

Wasn't there talk of them needing a 1000 reservists. Not sure how many they currently have but I presume there's a large turnover. It says it here i.e. need 1000 by 2026

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://careerservices.ie/garda-reserve/&ved=2ahUKEwjAraKTpb2HAxUuUkEAHV4uAqYQFnoECBwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Hvkshpb0Gnjclt-9wWEO6

So they need to hire 650 to get to the 1000 target. I figure if your OOM is between 0-650 you have a decent chance. That's assuming that the applicants' preferred locations are the same as the Gardai staffing requirements in each county!

Ann interview will tell all , some people know what is the correct answer on the application there has to be some info on what to expect, I know there is for the education board application there's questions and answers

So there could be a few that wouldn't pass an interview, there could be ideal candidates in the higher numbers but might not get the chance for an interview ?

1000 members seems very low

• Registered Users Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭billyhead

As mentioned some will fail the interview, medical or vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 2024_acc_holder

You’d expect some further information it was vague enough.

Would be helpful to know if you ranked overall or in your county .

I don’t think the application asked enough so be great to see everyone at least get an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OL16

Ranking must be by number, nationwide. I would imagine. It would be very unlikely its by by County! I hope not!!!! ;-)

OOM 913. Put down Kilkenny as my choice. Wonder what chance I have!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭gailgo

I really hope not I got 167 oom I’m hoping to be called for interview going on what they said the first 198 will be called

Advertisement