Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Reserve Recruitment 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ian 21

Offaly my own choice probably haven't a hope , choosing people nu an application process isn't the best idea , you could have someone who thrives in a theoretical questionare knows how to talk through an interview

And in reality in the situations presented in real life they would probably need a few pair of new underpants

I personally know alot of people who cam talk it quite well but when it comes to applying such talk it doesn't happen

And it's the Same with the full time force I've seen people I know who failed to succeed in 3rd level education and now have become guards

• Registered Users Posts: 20 2024_acc_holder

very true - people / life skills don’t always translate in words .

I believe the application is an automatic system too

I’d say 5/6,000 applied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭billyhead

For the reserves? Doubt it. Maybe for the full timers.

love to hear the final number … seen someone say OOM over 1500 so suggests a lot applied …. They didn’t actually get alot through Garda college over last while … some people who are interested in full time will see reserves as stepping stone in , this was always a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Well using a bit of guesswork, given that they divided the results into top, middle and lower thirds, I know someone who got in around the 550 score and coincidentally got a similar OOM. That would mean that each band would be around 550-600 people so that's about 1800 people who passed.

The number who applied would be greater than that if you account for those who scored below 300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭positron

Category A (Top Third): 558 or above
    Category B (Middle Third): 475-557
    Category C (Lower Third): 300-475

Average Score: 500.68

My score is 547 and was placed 66x on OOM. So there must have been dozens of people scoring in and around 550 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Picky owner

I am in the second batch,would you say if I get called for stage 2,would it be before or after Christmas.?

Also any idea how many of the 198 would they be looking to hire..

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mopro80

I think you're right… I got a score of 551 and OOM 63x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭gailgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭VonLuck

They don't want to give their exact number or else their identity could be figured out if you were in the Gardai and had access to the applicant's results.

email s out for interview to second stage this afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭popsmoke

Great news. I was 22x in OOM and I got an email for interview at the end of the month. So it looks like they are moving on it. It they stick to their plan, medicals in September?

Post edited by popsmoke on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 red850

I have also just confirmed my interview date/time. Looks like the interview slots have filled up quickly! had to cross check schedules on my side, and when i refreshed the booking page there was only 1 time slot left for the date i wanted, down from 8 only a few minutes before!

• Advertisement

Yeah my oom was in the high 200s,I got the email as well, interview is booked,am delighted as I thought only the first 198 were due to be called first,how did it reach my oom number so quickly?

Not complaining obviously 😃!just curious.

good luck everyone , be great to hear how you all get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Jimmy.1733

Fair play lads, im mid 300s. Might get an email yet. Let us know how the interviews go. All the best

best of luck to everyone in interviews hopefully they won’t be too grueling and we all make it through to next stage.

Have you a date gailgo?

• Advertisement

Emails out requesting information about nationality, education results, and what you work at. Getting ready for interviews.

Got that too,I sent in work and education details,I am Irish but my passport is expired,is it only if you are a non national or if you were not born here that you have to upload ID papers?

I sent the photo of the passport page. I think they wanted that even if you are Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 masterchief22

Hi folks, anyone know what exactly is gonna be asked during the interviews? Have my interview at the end of this month and not sure on what you're gonna be grilled on. Thank you :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It's a new format, so hard to know in advance. I would guess it will be less about the day to day as a reserve, and more about your own character and suitability.

What new format is it,how is it different than the last campaigns?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The last campaign had the civil service organise an in person group aptitude test, if successful you would then have an interview at a designated station with a sergeant. This time around the civil service does the initial interview and once you are successful, it then moves to the second part of the application which is done by AGS themselves. Or at least that's how I'm reading it.

I sent passport,education details and the signed declaration form I nearly forgot to send this and also my current work details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭OL16

Out of intrest anyone in the high 200's or even into the 300's OOM get an interview?

Yeah ,I was in the high 200s,got email last week about interview,was surprised as I thought the first batch was only up to 198.

• Advertisement

I know I'm jumping ahead but does anyone have experience of the medicals and where do they take place,are they up in Dublin?Is your own GP involved?

I

I read from old posts on this forum that it was in garda HQ Dublin. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it will be your own Gp, or one that they pick.

It would involve hearing, eyesight and a range of other tests, so would assume it'll still be their doctor doing the evaluation.

I got a place for training for the GR some years back but could'nt attend for training due to work & travel commitments at that time.

During selection at that time I had to get a medical report from my own GP and send it in. I was then called for my medical at Garda HQ and was examined by the Garda Doctor (who also reviewed the medical form/records from my GP).

Medical was the same as for full-time I was told at that time. I'd imagine the same applies for this campaign.

Moderator. Can this post I posted be deleted please and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Don96

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could guide me, I failed two leaving cert subjects however I have a degree I got low grades however I passed, but this appears to be affecting my application, does anyone know what do I do or has anyone been in this position?
    Thank you

Well, did they tell you that those results would not be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Don96

yeah and mentioned my interview would not go ahead due to this unfortunately

Feck, I gave them my results for a masters degree, and they came back to me and wanted my leaving cert results as well if I wanted to proceed in the process.

• Advertisement

would the masters degree not get you points on the framework to proceed?
    Says leaving cert OR 120 credits on the framework??

Post edited by Jimmy.1733 on

i am hoping to be in the next set of interviews but i did my leaving cert so long ago i couldnt even tell you what i passed or failed.

I did get 120 credits on the framework for a cert so im hoping that is enough

I thought that the masters would be enough. They said it was only 45 credits , but when I went back and checked , it was 90 credits. 45 credits of each of the 2 years.

You can get a copy of your leaving cert easy enough, might be handy as a backup if they want to see it. I did mine in the late 90s and got the results sent out to me, during the last campaign in 2017.

Thats crazy they are still looking for leaving cert results and the results 20+ years ago.

You have me worried now, all I have a level 6 Advanced Certificate but from what i can see is it is worth 120 credits. Don't understand how if a masters is only worth 90 (45 to them)

Very strange

• Advertisement

To be honest, I think the person make a mistake. I wouldn't worry about it.

Garda Reserve Recruitment 2024
    Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What are the educational requirements?
    Candidates must have obtained;
     an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 or O6 minimum in five subjects at Ordinary Level*, or
     hold a minimum of a Level 5 Major award (120 Credits) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or
     hold a recognised qualification (at Level 5 or greater), deemed comparable to the
    above in terms of both level and volume of learning as determined by Quality
    and Qualifications Ireland (QQI)

So, one would think that your Degree is a "recognised qualification (at Level 5 or greater), deemed comparable to the above in terms of both level and volume of learning as determined by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI)" (as stated above) and at least comparable to a pass leaving cert (I presume Irish of Enflish must be passed in the same LC?).

I'd definitely be quering that with AGS recruitment/Public Jobs i.e that your Degree should be acceptable to them in regard to reaching the 'educational requirements'.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you.

Personally I'd think it bonkers if they don't think a recoginised Degree from a recoginised College/Uni s not enough……from an educational requirement.

However maybe the type of Degree may be a factor…..Furniture Design for e.g may not be acceptable!

Surely a Master Degree is acceptable!!

Taught Master's degrees require 

180 credits worth of work, either through modules, projects, assignments and a final dissertation.

I mean, really if AGS are saying a Masters Degree (usually 5-6 years in University) is not acceptable as an 'educational requirement' for the Reserves then that REALLY IS bonkers. I mean come on….am I missing something here?!?!???

Someone with a Degree and or a Masters Degree but with only a pass LC is not educationally acceptable!!!!???????????

I think, for me, it might be the fact that I had no degree. I did a masters over two years. So the masters was 90 credits. But they only looked at year one, and they thought it was 45 credits and then asked me for my leaving cert results from a long time ago :). I would imagine someone with a masters who had a degree done before it, would have a huge amount of credits. I was able to do a masters without a degree due to my life experience.

did anyone receive the link for the zoom interview yet

• Advertisement
Advertisement