Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Landlord

Options
  • 22-02-2024 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Warning,it's a long story, didn't realise Ive lost my mind typing in my phone for too long,

I want the story to be out there,I need help,advice ideas if somebody has been through this,please lemme know your suggestions,

So I moved in my apt,comes with the whole block,that connects with a back garden and a small set with easy access from the back,

The apt is ok, although in poor condition has a bit of mold,not too much though,it's in the center of town,and rent is low,I live in on disability without any rent supplement,I am not qualified for hap because I have barely worked all my life due to disability,

the landlord does not have a rentbook with her,I think because the only proof of rent I have is through text message,I have saved 90% of them,and she only accepts cash,nothing else which weird,she needs me to show up to pay rent all the time,I requested to pay it through bank transfer,she declined

My past landlord was straightforward,friendly,and responsive, responsible,for any cases,he would collect the payment,which was nice considering I suffer with sciatica issues with my back if I walk too long.

He unfortunately left,after he sold the block to another landlord,who lives in the UK I believe because this woman literally wrote the guys name on my contract,it's her husbands,they have the same second name,to which btw doesn't specify the term of rent,I have been living there for almost 3 years,does this mean she can kick me out anytime?

So she comes in on the first day after finally buying the block, including the apt,she boosts the rent by a bit,barely checks the place,there a rat holes in the house too,they come in and go out,due to rubbish issue that I am dealing with due to her fault I believe right now.

When I settled in,the past landlord would usually pick up my rubbish,or sometimes I would bring it in the back to the wheelie bins,the bins where provided free of charge.

This woman stripped me of the bins,and didn't even say anything,I had to ask her where the bins are,she told me to get my own,to which I am not even sure if that was right by her because when you rent a flat/apartment that is connected with other flats/apts that are in the same block,you/other tenants,should be provided free waste storage right? And probably even electricity and internet right?

So anyways,I got the bins,I could not bother argue with her,she is anti-social if things don't go her way,she is kind of bossy,meany

and I asked where to put them because she instantly closed the gate at the back where the bins used to be,she told me to put it outside since she locked the back gate,providing an unsafe space for my bins to be,there is literally nowhere I could put them,

After the first week things went well,the waste collectors came and collected the bins,

The second following week somebody found out that my bins where empty and ready for use,my neighbors bins where out too,but my neighbours bins where totally messed up,they weren't following the code colour rule (wrong rubbish in the wrong bins,pampers everywhere and black/white bags in all of the other coloured bins too) these neighbours have kids and I don't,keep in mind the these tenants are also my landlord or his wife's tenants,two of them live in my block,one lives right outside the block but to my right side in the next building,the landlady practically owns most houses in town,

She is absolutely antisocial, disrespectful,loud,doesn't care about her swearing (profanity) a lot.

So somebody has started filling up my bins with their rubbish,because it was easy to dump rubbish in them since they where outside the back gate,it was all happening in an unsafe space,where the woman has told me to put my bins in the first place,

I believe it was her fault for not providing a safe space for my bins,with no security or access to the back garden through the gate,

I contacted her,and she was very neglective,she said she couldn't do nothing about it,and would almost never be responsive every time I would bring it up on the phone via text,she literally didn't give a rats ass

It kept going on for a while,and I got very concerned/pissed about all of this,plenty of rubbish also just be put right next to my bins without a care for in the world from her,this introduced the rats to start crawling around the block and into my flat,sometimes I couldn't sleep because of the noises,I developed insomnia,I have mentioned this before to her,she told me she would would take care of it? I don't remember exactly but nevertheless she never did anything about it,

Soon one of the tenants in her block moved out,and another dirty couple moved in,they started leaving their rubbish outside the door! The whole block would stink of pampers and crap all over the place,the landlord barely even checked until I complained,she barely did anything,countless times the tenant would ignore her and she did nothing,they are still living in the apt! It's been a whole year actually!

These dirty tenants are now leaving furnitures out in the open of the hallway,Its almost impossible to get through the furnitures,I tripped over a couple times even hurting my ankles,I once ordered food and I couldn't go through without dropping some of the food that I had ordered,

Guess what! The landlady started accusing me of all the rubbish being left in the hallway even! I almost told her to feck off at that point,I was very disappointed and pissed,

So I told her she needs to give me a safe space for my bins,she was obligated I believe,and she did eventually,told me to go around the back and reach around in the gate to pull the lock and put my bins there to prevent fly tippers,so I went and did that,despite the fact that it was also easy to access the gate,I wonder if this was a stupid idea,and it was

No difference,in fact my bins where still getting filled up,at that point after investigating the bins,I found out it was all of the landlady's tenants that where dumping their rubbish in my bins,and that all of the tenants where connected together and where in fact families,after I talked to them,they like to drink,and party a lot btw, sometimes even late,

I talked to one of them about the bins,they would point fingers at each other,and that's when I knew,it was all of them together,the pampers (they all have kids,I don't),the white/black bags in my bins looked equal to their bins and they would sometimes grab my bins and put it next to theirs,I have recorded proof of all this,in case I need it,

But yeah it was them the whole time,

I contacted the landlord,nothing,she would deny,refuse help,and then at some point ignore me,that it was all happening close or right on her land,keep in mind I only have access to the back gate (no security cameras,no key for the lock,easy access for the tenants,or anyone!,but I doubt anyone would fly tip,there is another person living close to us and has his own security cameras and lighting going on and a very safe area)

And I only rent the flat,and I do not own the whole block or the land,I just have access for my bins to be put in the back gardens,other tenants too,

She has totally neglected my tenancy rights,

I tried arguing with her,it felt like I was talking to a wall,she might be borderline narcissistic,

She kept on denying saying she can't do nothing about it,it's not her rubbish,but would ignore the fact that it was her tenants doing it,and that they are still in fact doing it,and btw caught one of her tenants dumping into my bins on the day they where moving out,strangely she helped with this,because the rubbish contained enough evidence to prove that it was the tenant that was moving out who did this,they where caught,she held onto their deposit until they cleared out my bins,so there is that.

It's enough proof that she always chooses their dirty tenants who downright live with rubbish everywhere.

The landlady didn't even bother investigating,or even find a solution for it,

I canceled the bin company immediately,I decided to return the bins I had enough,I had to bring my rubbish to barna with the support of my friend driving me with a car,a total nightmare,and I feel bad for putting my own rubbish into my friends car,

The landlady didn't care.

I used to sometimes leave the bins outside the gate,and sometimes inside,but it didn't do much of a different switching,the result were the same,

When it was windy the lighter bins would move to the road and it would cause problems,hence why it was better for me to leave the bins inside,

A month or so ago,the council came,she told me to immediately move the bins inside,so that's when I actually did it,but they contained other tenants rubbish,which is why I believe that it wasn't the windy weather that was moving them,

So I agreed and moved them in,after it has been out for a while because she wouldn't like it being back there of course

Just a couple days ago,one of her tenants moved out,dumped their rubbish into my bins even more,at that point I didn't even care about returning the bins for a while,since they where filled up,and I was tired of paying the high prices for the bin collection company,that I had to cancel because of all this,

So then outta nowhere she starts complaining about it to me,and I told her that it was her fault all along,she barely even responded when I brought it up,but now all of a sudden she does and I have to take full responsibility!?

I told her I can dump all the rubbish myself out in the back yard and she can hire a collection company to collect because I don't have one anymore,I have been meaning to return the bins myself,

She flat out told me that she will call the authorities on me and evict me! For something that that I was just suggesting,I wasn't going to do it unless she approved,

She has then started been silent,days went by,and I asked what now? She said there nothing to be done unless I clear out the rubbish myself and pay for it! Clearly she wants that to happen

I said,I can't do nothing either (I live on disability nothing else,I am flat out unable to afford a collection for rubbish that's not even mine but under her fault)

She was completely ignorant

Btw my microwave died,I asked if she could replace it,

She said she will sort that out,so far no mention about it,

I told her that I will be contacting RTB if she keeps going in like this

I asked if I could switch to another form of payment to such like bank transfer,I didn't even want to meet up,with her,these past months,I have been sending it somebody else to pay my rent, because I just couldn't bother look at her or say anything to her,

She said no,I have to drop it in,and I was like alright,

Then she said that I have been sending the rent in through somebody anyways might as well leave it that way!

She is absolutely rude,and I have no idea what to do,

I literally can't live in that flat anymore because I have no bins or anywhere to dump my rubbish,

The bins that I was supposed to return are just sitting there building up rubbish and even around it.

Btw I have never gotten receipt for paying rent from her,but I have the text messages to confirm it,would that suffice for RTB to gather info?

She is literally abusive my rights as a tenant at this point isn't she,or have I lost my mind?

Post edited by Spear on

Advertisement