Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring to Radial or leave it?

Options
  • 23-02-2024 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hello Folks

I want to add sockets as part of a new extension, and I reckon the loading is going to increase potentially to about 6800 or 7000 kW (with everything turned on at the same time). It's currently a ring circuit on a 20A breaker with 2.5 cable (with about 16A loading), which would need to go up to a 32A if keeping as a ring - or splitting into two radial circuits on two 20A breakers.

Wondering what would recommend or what is the norm these days, I've read we are moving away from rings?

Also, wondering what the story is these days with getting an electrician out - I need to have him sort the fusebox but I am confident running cabling and doing the sockets (I am up on the UK regs) - something previous electricians were ok with 20 years ago. I'm afraid of running up a bill with having him make loads of visits working around me putting walls and floors in.. any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

My recommendation if building a new extension is to install new circuits completely. (Both lights and sockets)

new requirements specifically to is10101 including surge protection

you’ll only be adding to existing circuits if not

you’ll require a rec for this sad it’s restricted works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Ya forget about using the existing circuits

There's usually only a few calls needed .

I wouldn't bother trying to get involved in the works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Ring final circuits are not suited to domestic work

The DIY person is legally entitled to add a socket to a circuit and may break the ring inadvertently or branch off the ring without fitting a fused spur on the ring itself

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭SwordofLight

Thanks for the replies, rang around today, pretty tough to get an electrician!

It has me considering I could potentially keep the circuit as is and just add in more twin sockets. Then, when I can actually get an electrician to come out, ask them to do an inspection of the CU etc.

I'm not sure if it is a ring circuit to be honest. If it is a radial, I'm proposing to change the use of the sockets from a TV, lampstand, and occasional heater, to now frequent use of kitchen appliances kettle, microwave, fridge, dishwasher and occasionally plugging in a hoover. I'm adding up the kW and it's about 4500 which I believe is safe on a 20A fuse running over 2.5mm cable.

Sorry op. You’re out of your depth on this one

you should wait on the professionals

most trades are busy atm so don’t expect someone for a couple of weeks at least so try to have these in place before you start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

As outlined by others re do it all. Kitchens and appliances are prime fire starting areas. Rip it all out and start from scratch while you have the opportunity too. Any REC worth his salt you’ll be waiting for that’s normal

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

New circuits would be best, no question about it. I would also recommend that you install surge protection. When you consider the value of the house cutting corners to save a few bob or to get the work done quicker simply does not make sense.

Cheers 2011. Just to note to o.p

its a regulation if new cables are installed that they are surge protected. As per IS10101

this is irrespective of whether or not it’s a new circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭SwordofLight

Does that mean putting surge protector RCDs into the fusebox, mine is pretty skimpy on space as is! I'm guessing people around the country are having to fork out for new fuseboxes as well if they happen to have no space and have to get new cables in somewhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

SPD's (Surge Protection Devices) and RCD's are very different devices.

There are derogation from the rules regardless of how much space is available in distribution boards up and down the country. Besides it is generally not difficult to add an enclosure to the side of an existing board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement