Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheriffs Letter

Options
  • 23-02-2024 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm panicking over a Dublin City Sheriff letter received for a 4k debt owed. Does thr sheriff agree to payment plans? How long before they turn up at my door? My nerves are gone. Can someone please give me advice. I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Yes they do agree to reasonable payment plans. But you absolutely have to keep to it

Call them / email them with a proposal. They will normally call to you within a few days

They do not act like you see on UK trash TV. They do not have uniforms or anything that will identify them to the public.

A friend of mine used to act as Revenue sheriff (outside Dublin) - she's now retired. Most genuine cases can be dealt with on a plan over about 3 months, but at the same time there is zero leeway on the debt or the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Contact MABS and tell them you have a Sheriffs letter and they will work with you, and the Sheriffs office, to put a reasonable plan in place to pay back the debt. Worst thing you can do is ignore it. This is bread and butter for MABS. They are a fantastic service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Generally speaking the Sheriff is open to payment plans, but what they are willing to consider depends a lot of the nature of the debt and how it got to this stage. But you need to understand that this is a very serious matter and you need to contact them immediately - no putting it on the long finger. Contact the Sheriff and MABS to see what can be done.

It's anyone's guess as to when they might call, but call they will unless you reach an agreement with them. Back in my day they to batch up jobs and go out to an area of the city when they have a couple of jobs on - it could be a couple of days, a week or even longer. But it really is better you and especially if you have a young family not to let it get that far.

And it goes without saying that you must fully comply with any agreement you make with these people. And in that respect I'd very strongly advise that you not agree to any terms that you can't realistically keep, because you will be absolutely be held to them.

Advertisement