Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norstman E7 thermostat controller not keeping time

Options
  • 24-02-2024 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭

Have noticed when I check my thermostat that it keeps slipping out of time, after 4 or 5 days it can be 2-3 hours behind the time it was set at. Meaning of left unchecked the hot water tank may not be heating during night rate hours and thus using the more expensive day rate units.

Is there a fix for this or do I need a whole new unit? Sounds like something may just need to be screwed back in tight but not sure what.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

possibly depending on how old it is and what model - there's a battery in some models that *might* be possible to replace, but probably not.

I had one of these, an old analogue model. Timer stopped working entirely except for the 1 to 2 hr boost. So I went online (they are now called "Secure" by the way) and got an updated model. The back doesn't need to be replaced if you are retrofitting a newer models, spades are same, so you can probably do it if you can isolate your supply via the fuse box or check for power using a multimeter once that's off. There's a couple of spades and adaptor kit that comes free with the newer versions that enable you to just switch out the front part which is where all the mechanical and electrical parts are and spade in to the wiring.

But most likely you'll just want to get an electrician to come and switch it out - the version you want is a Secure E7 timer - they are digital now and there is a plus version that allows you to use bluetooth to set it, and can be upgraded to wifi for an application that works remotely (unfortunately not with any smart home systems right now). Was please to see an upgrade path for a 30 year old piece of kit, rare these days.

Advertisement