Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Data - Discussion on BBC4 Storyville and Beyond

• 25-02-2024 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭

Jayzuz where do I start.

If you haven’t seen

BBC4 Storyville: Total Trust: Surveillance State-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001wkcr/storyville-total-trust-surveillance-state

go seek it out and watch it - it’s fcking frightening.

While it’s China today, it’s something that impacts us all - I’ve looked at news stories around China spying apps and technologies etc as many have here over the last number of years - but just seeing this in action just shows we’re not at all a million miles away from similar in Ireland.

The technology is there now-it’s simply the legislation that’s stopping it .

Whatever way this thread goes I’d like to dedicate it to the following incredibly brave people in this programme including:

Tutu

Zijuan Chen

Sophie Zueqin Huang

Weiping Chang

Whang, Li and their son Quanqan

This programme is about a few human rights lawyers and their families who were detained arrested tortured and killed by the Chinese government.

Go fck you Chinese Government.

If you watch the programme you’ll appreciate why I said that.

yes the Chinese communist party of 80 million people are a bunch of pricks - but they’re a very effective bunch of pricks;

while the Chinese might be “open” in terms of how they’re using big data in terms of controlling people from a “social score” perspective amongst other initiatives- other western countries are likely doing same, covertly.

When a government knows the exact time of your period, your intended destination on a particular day on a car journey or even certain thoughts - all covered in this programme and all from big data…..Jayzuz.

Im not nor ever was a conspiracy theorist- but to anyone who says, “if you’ve nothing to hide, you shouldn’t care less”- you’re a complete idiot:

This programme illustrates:

1. The Chinese government ignores its own legislation to overtly and covertly but especially overtly monitor its citizens; legislation in democratic countries can’t be underestimated - it’s an incredible privilege to have the ability to object to legislation you don’t understand -and to successfully prevent or overturn in law - no less to tell your government to go fck itself .

1. Big Data is science fact - the western world is learning fast how even the simplest monitoring provides huge knowledge on its citizens -I don’t know how many years were away from the Chinese Government level of monitoring in Ireland, but it’s less than decades I believe- if we’re complacent about our laws and legislation it will happen a lot sooner,

The biggest learning I got from this programme was-

Please Don't be complacent about your current rights, privileges and especially your privacy.

Let’s become aware of each and every piece of legislation passed and how it may impact our own privacy.

This is After Hours so happy to take the abuse around my thoughts above but sorry, this programme was just so painful in so many ways- please watch it.

PS- this programme should be on the Junior Cert curriculum - it’s an incredible educational tool in so many ways.

Advertisement