Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power to old shed

Options
  • 25-02-2024 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi, I have an old shed on my site that I am considering to do up (or at least make weather proof).

From my house I have a cable running outside that was originally left out incase we wanted to have a light shining back to the house.

The cable has these markings on it

'600/1000 V BS5467 4X1.5mm2 2017'

Would this be sufficient to use to bring power to the shed? I'm thinking a socket or two and a ceiling light.

The end of the cable is about 30m from the shed at the moment so if it is sufficient will need to extend it

Thanks in advance for any inputs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's 1.5mm square SWA (armored) cable. It's enough for a few lights and a socket, but not much more than that, especially if it's being extended by that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭JL spark

Will you keep your bad advice to your self,

OP that cable is of no use , new cable form house board to shed ,

1.5 is not a cable for sockets , maybe one out side light , that’s about it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭digitalsystem

Thanks to you both for the responses. I'll plan on running a new cable from the CU to the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

1.5 is standard for lighting ring circuits, not recommended for sockets, especially not at the end of a 30m run.

You'd get lights in the shed from it, especially since you're probably not using more than 50W.

Those 5ft LED batten shed lamps are only 30W

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You could use that cable to fish in a new cable to your CU unit if its close like straight up a wall. Just tape on a 4 square or 6 sq SWA 3 core and pull it up. It's best to have one person to pull and another to feed the cable in when doing this.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No you cant use 1.5 for sockets. This sort of work legally needs to be done by a spark anyway, get one in.

Advertisement