Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing an RHD car with a French reg to ROI

• 25-02-2024 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2 daudouss

Hi everyone,

I used to live in the UK where I bought a 2015 car in 2019. I relocated to France in the middle of the pandemic and thought it would be tricky to sell the car back as the economy was at a standstill and valuations have gone down. So I took the RHD car to France and went through the process of registering it locally.

As selling it in France is close to impossible, I am trying to find out whether it would be a good idea to sell it to a private buyer or a dealer in the ROI. However wondering about VRT (CO2 and NOx) and other potential taxes...

Any guidance or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yes but for a private buyer to hear the story that the car is in France will ring alarm bells for scams etc, even if it's not.

Are you going to bring it to Ireland to sell it? If not you'll have a hell of a time getting interest in it. You'd have to be thousands cheaper than the next cheapest.

Dealers are apparently sitting on a lot of stock at the moment and it sounds like risk for them too.

You'll have to get it to Ireland, pay the taxes, get it registered and let someone look after it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are you relocating here, if you were resident in France for the last 6 months and can prove it you would qualifty for VRT exemption, getting this though means you can't sell the car for 1 year without having to back pay the VRT.

The car may be not desirable here if motor tax is too much, do you know what the CO2 emissions are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That only works if the OP is doing a transfer of residency back to ROI. I think they only want to sell the car to someone over here and not move here.

Unless it's something really rare like a vintage car then I don't think there will be much interest here, too much hassle when you include potential local inspection and transportation costs before VRT and NOX is even mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daudouss

Thanks Buddy Bubs!

Yes, the idea would be for me to drive all the way, take the ferry and so on... The car is a 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo with substantial spec (now slightly over 62k mileage), so surely would be of interest to someone eventually! Having a hard time estimating the taxes though!

I’d suspect you’d be better off selling it privately in France.

It might make some sense if you’re planning to import it to drive it yourself but it’s a nearly ten year old car..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gossamerfabric

advertise it on kleinanzeigen in germany with full disclosure but you are still going to be tormented by time wasters whereever you advertise it.

it is a 9 year old premium auto so maintenance costs are high and demand back in the UK is very weak at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

The VRT would be around 40% of the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price)

You could sell it to a dealer here in Ireland and let them take care of the VRT tho.

I suspect tho that you’d be better off selling it in Europe or the UK due to the high VRT here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Would defo be of interest, nice car but try making the numbers work may be a problem after the import taxes and transport costs. I think the UK is your best bet.

I imagine it's easy enough to re-register it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Annual motor tax here is probably in the €2400 a year bracket, so it's appeal is very limited.

I'd expect VRT to be horrendous on it, as Revenue will put their own value on it, not base it off what you'll sell it for.

Beshoff's in Howth have a 2020 one with 3k miles on it for sale for €89k if that's of any help. You could try contacting them and asking if they'd buy it from you.

Quinn's in Labane, Co Galway have a clientele for stuff like that, so might be interested too, worth asking.

Either way, I think the UK is a more likely market for it, irrespective of price.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement