Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector Competency Questions

• 25-02-2024 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I am a technical professional. There is currently a live competition for a job I want and am qualified to do. Two years ago the same organisation advertised the same job. I applied then, with answers to 4 competency based questions. I didn't get shortlisted for interview because I was shy of the minimum number of years of work experience by a few months.

I have used versions of those same competency answers since in applications to other public sector organisations for the same role and have been shortlisted for interview.

My question is: would it be ill-advised to apply to this organisation with identical answers to what I applied to them with 2 years ago?

To apply for jobs with them, you have to fill out an online form in a portal and make the application all in one sitting. You can't save your progress and return to it later. So you have to prepare your answers in advance and then copy and paste.

Because of this, I am wondering what the likelihood is that their system will have kept a record of my application from 2 years ago, and that if I submit identical answers for the competencies, that that might go against me in getting shortlisted for interview?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭griffin100

They won't have kept your answers from 2 years ago in any way that can connect them with you unless they made it clear in their Privacy Agreement at the time that they were going to do this and had a valid reason to do so, which I'd say was / is highly unlikely. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Yes, even if they were the same people involved this time around, this is a fresh competition and your answers are just as acceptable as anyone else's. I've used the same examples etc. in multiple competitions before. Don't sweat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd just add that when interviewing using the competency based method I was always told to look for examples from within the past two years. OP you may need to update your answers to show more recent activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheOnion

Thanks to you all for your helpful answers, much appreciated.

Advertisement