Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards posters who *pretend* to work

• 25-02-2024 11:47pm

I have seen a lot of posters who proclaim to be gainfully employed and doing very well in earning capacity yet it would appear they are posting on Boards.ie an inordinate amount of the 24 hours we live day by day.

To account for myself, I am retired and with a very modest public service pension. I have MS so am somewhat limited in how I can get aloud and about per day. I would not e able to reliable work at home either. That accounts for me.

so what accounts for so many posters claiming to be busy working when there is zero evidence they are no such thing, unless through the night or going these highly responsible tasks at supersonic speed between posting?

What am I missing here?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• using it in work probably

• when working in public service we got a fair stick for being lazy etc etc, but I could never get doing anything the likes of posting in Boards except in tea break in my own device… however I caught one other doing so whilst the rest of us were working our butts off, lets put it this way, I wasn’t popular with said individual.

• Nobody has a problem with a quick update on news headlines, weather etc, but one individual nonstop posted on boards, now this was years ago, but I got thinking recently as I see people on a few threads posting about how hard they work and what a nice tidy sum they seemingly earn for this “hard work”. Oh I know it’s total bullsh1t, but I’m calling it out as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The days of the 24h boards poster are numbered. Can't be too many of them left now

No shortage of spoofers however. There is one fella claiming to be a surgeon, IT worker and has a number of other careers. Then there was yer man who knew David Attenborough

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭506972617465

Here I am. You got me. IT obviously. I can script 50% of my work and also "multiterminal" another 30% so that what used to take a week, takes me 2 days and 3 days I chill. There's also variables such as being on-call where I start later than usual (after lunch) and here I am enjoying my vodka because 1) I know I can still do my work after a few sips 2) I don't have to get up early.

Also, there are projects. A lot of wise people and managers debating on how things should be done. Sadly, I know how they should be done and what we are capable of (technically, finacially and ethically), I type up an email in about 10 minutes and let them crawl over it and debate and argue to finally come to a conslusion that my way is the right way. All this time they argue I sip on my wine.

When it comes to doing things, I have my ways to do them quickly and efficiently. And it's nobody's business how I achieve that.

So here it is, that's why I have a lot of time.

• Advertisement

• lol. Yeah, I’m guessing on a of spoofers here. I kinda know who one or two are, very hard working fakers 😁 Takes a lot of energy fired up with alcohol and whatever yer having yerself with some of them.

Some say they are very good customers of likes of Chapter One restaurant, have a young relative scratching the balls for a small fortune “ because we’re worth it”.

Joking aside have seen a whacking great salary advertised, and someone getting that job whilst doing almost no work. Just turn up at HQ every fortnight. Wouldn’t be Einstein if ya get me, in fact very mistake prone. But very responsible role. Apparently.

• I like this honesty. A lot.

Kind of relates a lot of what I have suspected. As an aside, my instincts have rarely let me down but too often informed me too late.

I also think that, on foot of my suspicion, there is a reckoning to come. There’s no such thing as free money.

Posting on social media is only too well detectable. Even without AI I can immediately tell a rereg. In seconds. AI can detect posting styles and will no doubt be used by companies to assist in the detection of wastage of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Have too much time on your hands, do ya?

Boardsies beware of recode, the work police.

• Yes, as per my opening post I absolutely DO have an awful lot of time on my hands 😉

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I work from home, on a laptop. I do post a lot on boards.ie, and I do take many little "breaks" from work...

But work as such is always there, as I enjoy it, so there isn't that same kind of divide between work and home life, as I'm just sitting here with my laptop anyway.

Hmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭506972617465

Ah thank you.

Until AI can do **** even remotely close to endangering my position I'll be the prick in charge of the AI.

On a more serious note; sometimes you need to lay back and think. And not everything can be quantified and translated into working hours. I am efficient because I am lazy, but at the same time I can go with the flow and follow the rules and regulations and waste my time on the actual work and repetitive stuff that fills up the day. Why though.

As for AI - it's just another buzz word loved by twat managers who love to clap their hands "come on people let's get it done", same like "cloud" used to be a few years back. Buzz words, hype and an opportunity to get a few quid out of guillible businesses. What's happening to the cloud now? Yet another subscription, where Bezos farts and needs some cash for a new rocket and businesses pay up because sure it was easy to migrate to AWS but it isn't as easy to migrate away. AI is quite the same, buzz, hype, in general shite that isn't even remotely close to what an average person sees as "intelligence". But I get that "neural network" sounds fancy, I do.

Before some AI/AWS "evangelists" try to contradict me - sure you know where you all can go, don't you.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I work in healthcare, and sometimes I take minutes to answer my patients call bells as I'm finishing off another ground breaking post.

They're occasionally annoyed until I show them what I've written, and then they usually apologise for interrupting me and thank me for my stellar work (posting stuff, obviously not my actual work).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

There's one lad who's got tens thousands of posts and has reregistered umpteen times who just throws out their "high wage" without it being asked or relevant to the discussion. Classic projection. They're often seen defending the ridiculous Tubridy and giving out about old men generally even though he's almost certainly an aul fella himself. It's all projection and very, very sad carry on when you think about it.

• Re 24 hour posters, I absolutely think it is a great resource with mental health issues, and goodness knows I have had my share and I identify with the phenomenon of all night mental torture. Thankfully my GP prescribed something to deal with it perfectly. It is a great resource and in no way would I comment on anybody needing to recourse to this. Have done so myself. 😀

In fact I would encourage anyone to engage in an existing thread or start up any thread to help get through a crisis.

Other than people with issues there are the complete spoofers. Years ago, pre the tech we have now, my part-time boss ran a side business (taxman wasn’t aware afaik) from her part time public service job, whilst I did her work as well as mine.

• Ah well, that’s really stalwart service. I’ve been a patient many a time and I will learn to bear more fire bearing in future when I ring the bell. A nurse/doctor may be laying on Boards/X wherever, I know my bleeding body needs to step back in importance 🤣

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - We'll leave it at that. 

Threads like this invariably end up with posters taking potshots at others, as is already happening.

Hilda

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement