Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be getting paid mileage?

• 25-02-2024 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

I started a new job in facilities. Part of that role is working between our offices. It was more or less implied that because it's part of the role and requirement to go to the other offices that I don't get milage.

I am using my own car. It varies greatly how often I need to travel. Could be none or 4 times in 1 week.

In other roles I done previously, I always got milage.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Hoboo

What does your contract and/or company handbook say about mileage or working in other locations? Screenshots would be helpful to get the full wording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

In my opinion, yes! Either they provide transport or they pay mileage for your vehicle. Otherwise, you are supporting their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Of course you should absolutely be getting mileage- using your own car to drive between work facilities as part of work business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might also be 'driving for work' (as opposed to driving to work) and this may affect your car insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Not sure about contract. I will check this out over the next few days.

Let’s assume it has nothing. Is there an actual law that says I should or is it purely down to the contract\employers discretion to pay me mileage etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your employers should be paying for the time, tools and premises you use for work.

So they should pay the additional cost of car insurance (presuming you are providing the vehicle to travel between sites, and the insurance for it).

And the travel costs. Mileage is the clearest way to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭beachhead

You should be getting mileage and the employer should be paying the extra insurance cost for driving for work. I'd be more worried about motor insurance.I presume the company is small and does not have pool cars available

Advertisement