Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authority job - placed in a panel

• 26-02-2024 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 kate_Pink

Hi,

I received an email from HR stating that I have been placed in the top 10 for an engineering position. I was wondering if there is any chance of being called for the position, or should I forget about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, there's a chance.

How large that chance is, or how long you might need to wait for it, we cannot tell. It depends on how many engineering vacancies the local authority have during the life of the panel - and also how they manage the panel.

Do you have any contacts inside who might know about typical numbers each year? Now you're on the panel, asking them doesn't count as canvassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kate_Pink

Thanks for your reply.

I do not know anyone in the council, and HR apparently doesn't know how many opening vacancies are available at the moment (Is this possible?).

How does the panel generally work?

• They may place 10 or more on a panel (depending on the grade, administrative grades tend to have more placed on panels). There may not be any actual positions actually available at present. As a position arises, number one will be offered said position. If they accept and another position arises, number will be offered etc etc.

Panels last one year but are typically extended by one year. If you don't receive an offer after 2 years, chances are you will have to reapply, re-interview etc to be placed on the next panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭AlanG

If it is not for a very senior role then you have good chance. Lots of private sector people turn down public sector jobs when they get an offer and realise they need to start at point 1 of the pay scale. In ICT its close to 100% in recent years, not sure about engineering.

They nearly always keep it for two years and also often other organisations can draw down from the panell if it was stated in the application pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kate_Pink

Thank you for the responses.

It is mentioned in the application pack that the panel can remain active for one more year. I guess now it is just a matter of waiting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement