Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DRAINAGE

Options
  • 26-02-2024 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello,

I've a question regarding drainage.

We've a .70 acre garden / outside area.

The ground is so boggy, very poor.

Looking to do major works on it.

I'm wondering do i need a landscape gardener, local guy/ farmer / machine driver with experience of the ground or an engineer.

The plan is to do a lot of work ourselves but just wondering who the best person to seek advice from.

Plan is to

- Lay drains

- Take a ditch away

- Take away around .30 acre of grass/bog and turn it into an area with stone, some plants, bark area or even use it extend as a larger driveway.

Impossible to say but anyone have a ball park budger.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm out of touch with digger and driver costs but you should be able to find that out fairly easily - ask around locally for a competent digger driver or ask in a hire company for recommendations. I vaguely think it was around 200 a day just before covid for a digger and driver, but I could be way out.

I'd be inclined to get advice from an engineer, someone used to dealing with ground conditions, maybe someone who does surveys for water treatment units (septic tanks) would be a reasonable start, and they are used to doing one off jobs rather than expecting to be set on for a house build, or whatever. You may want to check if you will run into issues, practical or official, taking out a ditch.

I would be very cautious about setting on a 'landscape gardener' - anyone can give themselves that title, whether they know anything about ground conditions or not.

Edit - to find an engineer look at local planning applications, find the water treatment plans/report and see who is the engineer named on them.

Advertisement