Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run of bad luck, fix or trade in with fault?

• 27-02-2024 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Have a 2014 qashqui that we've had for about three years and serviced regularly, fixed a few bits in that time. About three weeks ago turbo went so paid a grand to get replaced along with some ball joints, when I was picking it up got list of issues with suspension (front track rod split and wishbones needed doing amongst other things) along with need to do front discs and pads. So back in a week later and dropped another 800 euro on getting those bits done.

Picked car up and drove to the my folks up north and the next day after parking up noticed bit of oil on the pavement near the car. Long story short got it back down and dropped it straight back in in case issue with new turbo, turns out crank shaft (I think) has leaked into gearbox and flywheel and both going to need replaced.

Haven't got quote back but it's obviously going to be high enough, as I see it I can either pay myself to fix it (and probably trade the car in in six to 12 months) or I could trade it in against something else and let them know about the issue. What am I wondering is if I trade it in will I get absolutely shafted on the offer (i.e likely to deduct more than the cost of the repair from the value)? Anyone done similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Cork29

take it to the scrap yard and start again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,043 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you're thinking of changing the car then I'd just trade it in as is and not even mention the oil leak

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭mankteln

That's what I feel like doing lol.

Probably worth about 10k fixed though surely that's not sensible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

Its up the dealer to do their checks on the car. You don’t need to inform them of any fault.

Right enough? I assumed there'd be some sort of declaration? Haven't traded in previously just done private sales as would've been bottom of the market.

I wouldn't sell a car with an obvious fault to someone privately because I wouldn't want it done to me but I'd a feeling dealerships just want to move the car their selling. I've definitely driven enough dealer cars with issues.

• Advertisement

The bad luck continued I had an NCT booking last night for the qashqui that I switched to my other car and it had a dangerous fail leaving me stranded! Two back tyres below minimum glad I put it in tbh because myself and my pregnant wife have been driving it and god knows what could've happened as wasn't due to expire NCT until middle of April. Pissed with my mechanic for it tbh (different guy to where the qashqui is) as only had it in for service in on the 9th of January, he mentioned nothing about tyres being low I would've expected them to be checked.

So two cars down now and in a hire car lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Leatra

I'd recommend picking up a tyre tread depth gauge for the future. You can pick an analogue one up from Halfords (with a pressure gauge) for about eight quid.

Yeah I would've usually been in the habit of checking me tyre depth myself as it's easy to see the indicators at least. I won't be making any assumptions in future anyway! It was an awkward night being stranded but at least no harm done could've been so much worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

I was tempted but given my luck last few weeks I wasn't leaving myself open to anymore hardship!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Fail dangerous tyres are not bad luck. That's owner neglect.

Yes mechanic should absolutely have advised but still, you need to check your tyres yourself.

Re the qashqai, I assume its the main seal at crack.

That's a gearbox out job but not too bad on a qashqai I'd imagine.

I wouldn't say I neglect the car if I got it serviced a month ago, it's an old Merc so I get it serviced every 10k km so at that interval I'd expect the tyre wear to be flagged but definitely it's my own oversight not keeping an eye on them myself. I've learned my lesson I'm just glad there wasn't greater consequences (if anything it being spotted at the NCT could be seen as lucky, it was the qashqui that was due to be tested).

Yeah pretty sure you're right about which seal it is. From the way I heard it it sounded like the engine oil had contaminated the gearbox and flywheel so they'd need replacing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Engine oil escapes from the engine behind the flywheel into the chamber that hold the clutch and flywheel.

It's a gearbox off job anyway. See how bad things are once opened up

Advertisement