Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Spring 2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ME this morning now say that a North Westerly will bring Sunshine and Showers next week no mention of warm weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

When the warm air arrives expect the usual rain piss and muck🤣 …chance of dry weather next tuesday/wednesday onwards..if we get some sun it will feel warm but cool enough if cloudy…still plenty of cold air around for the rest of the month…winter lasts all the way to May the same as last year…maybe theres no such thing as Spring 🙃 not here anyway or summer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭squonk

yeah spring seems like a thing of the past these days. Doesn’t kind like any let up in the next while. In really hoping it’s not another run like last summer when it was pretty poor up til mid May then someone turned on summer for about a month, then someone realised the summer was left on so it was switched off and we were back to rain and misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

We didn't get a winter. More like a prolonged autumn.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like some much needed drier weather for most parts of the country from earlier next week, most of the rain showing up on the accumulation charts is to fall up to next Monday but looking much drier after that. Temps probably getting up to the low to mid teens with cool nights and quite possibly getting frost in a few places under clear skies as the projected High Pressure takes hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes likely a lot drier after Monday but not warmer. 10c to 14c about and 2c at night except in the NW about 7c at night. April's Max temperature might have been today. Hopefully May is an improvement on the cool weather.

2-3 months too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The charts now looking they like they should for April, I can’t ever remember seeing such a wet and windy April before, I’m sure it has happened but I’ve no memory of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭cute geoge

For your information alot of farmers check in here for usually reliable forecast but both posts above are deplorable in my book .From my limited knowledge on forecasts the former post seems completely off the mark and definitely not worth writing because it looks like little rain forecast for the south of the country for the next 2-3 weeks and as for the latter post 99% of people are depressed with all rain day in day out with the last 9 months so I dont know what shite you are talking about bit I do agree with you 100% saying Boards is a wonderful resource to have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

Responding to @pauldry's post with comments like "make the outlook look so depressing" is rather childish, especially when other snide remarks are mentioned and also because this (as I have already mentioned) is quite a fact and science based forum. It's simply not good decorum to attack a poster if he/she posts a weather forecast based on the scientific facts that have been placed before that person .

"Groundless Claptrap" - why exactly was the post by @pauldry groundless? Bear in mind that the term means "not based on any good reason" or something similar. Do you think his comments were just made up on the spot or plucked out of thin air.

The outlook is what it is, I would love the weather to be warmer, calmer and sunnier but if I'm going to complain or discuss my feelings in any sort of detai that I have as a result of the weather, I'll do so in the relavent forum. I won't make hostile remarks about it here.

Language and terminology is very important on a text based forum. The different sections of the forum were created for good reason.

BTW, I live slap bang in the middle of farmland in the Midlands and I'm very much aware of the ground conditions for a multitude of reasons that are of little relevance here but the only words of importance that I would mention here regarding the land, which also tie in with the topics being discussed are "fully saturated" and "waterlogged". I'll stick to that.

• Advertisement

The wave of warm air arrived…but only came as close as the south east of england…as usual we end up back in even colder air this weather pattern happens every year….we might actually get 1 good summer every 20 years if we are lucky…must be the only country in the world where you have to go on holiday in the middle of summer to get some summer weather…every single year 🙃

In the last 20 yrs ,06, 13, 18 and 22 come to mind and 2021 wasnt bad. Hardly being a case of 1 good summer every 20 yrs. 21 yrs ago 2003.

2 weeks of sun for the whole year…every year…if we are lucky🙃

Chance that the good weather from wednesday on could last longer than usual…no real warm air with it…but will still feel very warm if its sunny and the longer it lasts the warmer it will get…it will create its own heat this time of year if it lasts…if those cold northerlies dont come back

Post edited by Hooter23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

With so many going on fly away holidays I think most have forgotten what Irish weather is like. Granted it Has been a wash out Winter / Spring, but to be expecting wall to wall sunshine and heat is unrealistic

The moment I posted my comment on the next 60 days having a 90 percent chance of rain charts of a drier nature appeared. In any case is was the CFS I was looking at and for most of this year its being forecasting a wet Spring. However now it looks like a high pressure system is finally trying to take hold. However from time to time this will slide West and South. However the past few days have kept the ratio going here in the Northwest but granted the South does look drier this week However the North and West still have small amounts of rain some days. Yesterday at the end of the run low pressure was signalled to return after a few dry days. Tonight GFS much drier. No consistent pattern yet signalled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Need to stay on topic please

: This thread is for posting/discussing/analyzing FI CHARTS ONLY i.e. Charts in the unreliable time frame, generally +T120 onward for Spring 2024.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We are now half way through Spring 2024 and on the road to summer. The first half of Spring has been solidly very wet and often mild despite not feeling mild due to so much wind and rain.

At long last we seem to be entering a dryer period, not completely dry but much dryer than the regular deluge pattern of the past 12 to 18 months.

It looks reasonably dry up until April 22nd with only scattered showers around and we may get a few dry days. Temperatures are currently below average, we may see a rise briefly to average temperatures for a few days but the overall trend is to keep things slightly cooler than average so no real sign of warmth on the horizon.

High pressure looks like it will set up over the country this weekend, but this is not a warm ridge, we are on the cooler side of the ridge so night time frost is possible in a few sheltered places.

This ridge of high pressure does not look like it's going to stay around very long with lower pressure coming back next week possibly bringing in some cold rain showers in a northerly airflow.

After this into the unreliable time frame we stay on the cool side with low pressure possibly close by and an easterly air flow.

The north and east of the country may see the most rainfall over the next 2 weeks, however far less than what we've been used to over recent months. Some southern and western areas could stay mostly dry over the coming week with only patchy showers around.

Overall a lot of uncertainty past April 22nd but it does appear we go back into a more unsettled scene but remains to be seen how unsettled does it become. There is currently very little for support for warmth any time soon with things staying slightly cooler than average or average at best. Temperatures may struggle to get much above 14 or 15C for the remainder of April. Hopefully we will see a bigger push of warmth as we move into May.

We finish up on the 6z with a Scandinavian high trying to draw in proper warmth but I would take this with a huge pinch of salt for now. If this was to verify eastern areas would most likely stay chilly while western areas would become warmer.

Ya the past couple of runs have brought back the rain again in the medium term. I feel this year cold be another 1993 or 2007 to 2012, however any short warm spells we get in Summer will likely be a lot warmer than in the past so at least we have that.

This high coming in is fighting a losing battle with warmth over Canada pushing the Arctic air mass over and slightly more South over Europe impacting us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Feel summer will be poor based on what Pauldry? The eternal pessimist within you?

It's like a constant battle between yourself and Gonzo for most miserable predictions 😂

Unfortunately if you look at the realistic picture for Ireland you will seem very pessimistic. There are 3 or 4 good days to come before a breakdown but hopefully High intensifies more than predicted and becomes stationary but models do not favour this presently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Being realistic and predicting a horrendous summer are different things altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Our summer for the year some would jokingly say but a weird ol' distribution of temperatures 😂

Yes looking forward to seeing what 24dry hours is like again. Saturday and Sunday look like nice days. Dry then into next week but I won't say what the end of the week is showing because you know yerself.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

No sign of warmth heading towards the end of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

"West is best" in these set-ups in late spring - looking forward to it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement