Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing Insulated Flooring

• 28-02-2024 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Not sure if this question is more suitable to the Construction forum?

I'm planning on using these boards to create an insulated floor in my attic. Just for maintenance/storage. I'll be putting rockwool sitting on top of the joists in any areas not covered by the boards (there's already 100m fibreglass within the joists)

Insulated Loft Decking Boards 14.4m2 - Unilin Thin R (XT/Walk-R) - MyBuildingSupplies.ie

The house is a 1940s end of terrace with quite thin joists (3 cm joists, 30cm apart) so the insulated board seems like a much better flooring option than rockwool plus loft legs plus OSB.

I'm having trouble reading the installation instructions: 102604-Xtratherm-Thin-R-Walk-R-Web-v4.pdf (mybuildingsupplies.ie)

1. Boards should be be laid transverse to the joists, spanning minimum of 4 joists at 400mm centres.

2. Pre-drill the Walk-R panels and secure with wood screws. Screws should penetrate joists by 30mm and be placed no closer than 25mm from any panel corner. Do not over-tighten the screws.

3. Ensure that no electrical cables are damaged or compressed between the Walk-R panels and the joists. Mark the top of the panels to indicate the positioning of any services below the walkway.

4. Ceiling joists are not designed to take a floor loading, loads applied should not be excessive. If loading other than maintenance traffic or light storage is required, an engineer should be consulted

Point 1:

• The boards are rectangular so is Point 1 saying I lay them perpendicular to the joists? And they have to go across a minimum of 4 joists? And the furthest apart the joists can be is 400mm?
    • If so, am I supposed to trim the excess?

30mm joist + 300mm gap + 30mm joist + 300mm gap + 30mm joist + 300m gap + 30mm joist = 1020m and the boards are 1200m

Point 2:

• Is it saying I need to drill the entire way through the board and the joist with a wood screw? Or is there some other really obvious way that I'm supposed to attach the board to the joist?
    • Can boards share joists? Like can I drill two boards into the same joist or how am I supposed to cover the whole area in boards?

I think point 3 is fine, as our electrics are outside of where the boards will be going. And I think Point 4 is just saying, this isn't a real floor, don't be dancing on the boards.

Any guidance at all ye can give me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

Advertisement