Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone 500 ftth issues

• 28-02-2024 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Vodafone 500mb ftth. Does the speed drop after cooling off period. I’m about to get it in and am scratching my head.

Thanks .

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why would the speed drop after the cooling off period?

No changes to service received after cooling off period in my own experience, with any provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Robbie 52

Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is neighbours very close to me got it in a month ago and their speed tests indicates that it went from about 450 to 180 in general. When I changed to Eir 4 years ago that is what happened to me. My experience with Eir was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I got Vodafone 1gb and the speed dropped a lot after install. They fixed it by putting me in VF Max.

My issues.with VF now is that I loose connection to my firestick.after about 20min. I have to shut both down and reboot. It does not cut out after that but something is not right with the pairing that causes the drops. Firestick used to work perfectly with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭User567363

We have a gigglybit with vodafone, for nearly a year, speedtests are always about 960meg down and 100meg up on the wired desktops

Use a tp-link deco system as modem, router and wired wifi mesh

Wifi speeds vary from 1meg to 500meg, but thats wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are a couple of reasons why speed test results might go from 450 to 180 in situations such as this - and all of them aren't the fault of the ISP. There are potential issues that might be ISP related however theres no real benefit to the ISP in reducing your advertised headline speed intentionally, generally.

1. Were both tests done on the same device at the same time of day when wired to the vodafone device?
    2. How many additional devices were connected to the LAN (Wired and Wireless) at the same time as both tests? What was happening on these devices?
    3. Was the speedtest platform using the same endpoint to test at both times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

plug a cable into the router and check speed. It wont be throttled.

Doesn't mean you wont see wifi issues. dont conflate the 2 problems. Doing you own site survey will show what 5ghz channels are in use by the neighbors. Select an unused channel if you can.

5ghz doesn't penetrate walls well so test 2.4ghz for devices that may be behind obstacles. might get a better speed/ more consistent speed on that band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Robbie 52

Thanks to everyone for this further information. I’ll check it out asap. I can foresee that I’ll probably have a problem with a particular wall to the main bedroom as the ground floor built in the days of Daylight robbery.

I am certain that LAN tests were not done in the premises of the neighbourhood. It was a case of “get in and out asap”.

Thanks again to all.

Advertisement