Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conduit and back box question

Options
  • 29-02-2024 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi, my first fix wiring on a new build has been completed for some time now and I am happy with everything, my electrician seems very "by the book" and was often pointing out bits here and there that some people often do and get away with when wiring but he would not do incase of inspection or just not safe.

However I had another tradesman doing some work this week and he commented on how he thought it was unusual that in pretty much every light switch and electrical socket the conduit ends above the metal back box and only the wires enter the box while he said electricians in other houses he has worked on go out of their way even using different shaped conduit to make sure the conduit enters the back box. He also mentioned some wires (only in one or two places) are run without conduit. I was aware of this, it was done as there was just no space to put extra wires that I asked for after a lot of wiring was already done. Similar for the back boxes I have a lot of wires entering many boxes and conduit is too wide I think to fit into the opening in most cases?

Is this something to be concerned about or just opinion from the other tradesman (who has no real experience in wiring).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Considering it's a requirement, how do these other electricians then install grommets on the pressed box-edges if they run the conduit into the back-box? That's my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Thanks for the response, I don't know to be honest. In fairness I don't think he was criticising as such but more highlighting that it seemed different to what he has seen in other places. As mentioned above I have been very happy with the electricians work* and my first reaction was he knows what he is doing but the seed of doubt was sowed in my mind so I thought it worth asking here. The other tradesman has moved on now and won't be back for a good while so won't be able to continue the conversation for now anyway.

Anyway sounds all is in order and its left this way to add the grommets so thanks for the information.

*I would also add to my previous comment the electrician is a pretty well respected one in the south east region that is known as much for commercial work as domestic.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Pop a photo of a backbox and wiring conduit and we'll have a collective look?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

What finish is going directly over the wiring. (Plasterboard blobbed on , insulated aeroboard,sand and cement, studded battens)

Will get one tomorrow and post up.

Sand and cement will be the direct finish over all wiring to sockets/switches.

• Advertisement

Here is some photos - every switch and socket box are pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

It's poor workmanship

The conduit should enter the box

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭JL spark

That’s rough as **** , you need to chat to that lad , was he cheapest quote?

Cables are damaged in the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Given that the wall will be rendered, that means the last inch of each cable will be encased solid in the sand and cement.

This isn't necessarily a huge issue but had he taken the conduits into the box then in the event a cable needed to be added or replaced in future, it could be pulled in with no damage to the wall.

As he hasn't brought the conduit into the box, and the bare cables are going through the knockouts, he really should have used grommets to prevent any wear/chafing.

This is a backbox with a grommet fitted:

Could use a conduit coupler/backbox adaptor in the knockout like this

although i think this is adequate

also seen this done with oval squished in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

That's really poor, cables chafing on the knockouts, should all be refitted with the coupler shown above.

PS. Your opening paragraph is a funny read now after the pics😁

No, I really only had one quote was very difficult to get quotes especially as I was asking for some non-standard stuff. Based on some partial/very estimated quotes he is probably more expensive than most but I sort of wanted him as he worked for us in the past and we were always happy. He also had no issue working with me on non-standard stuff.

in general his work has been very tidy even commented on by a different tradesman how tidy his cable runs are in the attic etc and Id no reason to even question anything else until it was mentioned.

As mentioned above he is well known and has maintainence contracts in lots of businesses across the south east region so is well respected.

It’s very superficial to the heavy outer jacket. The socket I took the picture off has by far the worst marks and that was caused by me removing the box from the wall to put on airtightness paint and when putting it back it got marked (it was missed when painting the other chases).

265 Sqm house + 60 sqm garage cost is >40k - to be finalised based on 2nd fix items where there is choice i.e. metal light switches or standard white plastic. There was extra work on some things i wanted and at least 30 - 40% more sockets and data runs than would be normal (from my experience).

Big chunk of money ,I would definitely bring this to his attention, have you paid him for first fix electrical works ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Agree with others who say it’s a bit rough alright

wouldn’t take much to sort it out though

not a fan of metal box’s myself (that’s just me so no criticism). I’d prefer plastic (p.d). They are easier to get conduits into and elongate openings.

I thought plastic was gone these days

There's a small risk of non earthed screws making contact with conductors

Can be a nightmare with the lugs also

Easier to widen the knockouts for sure

The problem there is , you could second fix that and all be good , down the line the issues would appear

Yeah work was completed 3 or 4 weeks ago so fully paid for 1st fix.

It's very bad workmanship to damage the cables like that on an install

Not to mention the conduit not entering box

Either he doesn't know better on the boxes or is just a sloppy tradesman overall

• Advertisement

Are the rest of the points like that with cable damage

At worst the paint just about grazed like in the second photo in many of them - I'd be hesitant to call it damage really as its very slight. I'd have to go through in more close detail but from what I remember the first photo above is the worst one and its not actually that deep (and it was caused by me moving things - not helped by the chase being a bit off hence the bend in the wires).

I will mention next time he is back and ask if he thinks everything looks ok but unless he was planning to add grommets or similar anyway I don't think he will be in a rush to do anything and if he says its ok well he is supposed to know so I'll have to go with it.

Stopped using them a long time ago when I was doing domestic . Too many problems threading screws.

Handy alright for widening the conduit entry

Advertisement