Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Think an often dry period will come at some point . Think it's only a matter of time before we have a switch over. Who knows heading into spring/summer 2025 could be talking about drought conditions lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It has just been so damn wet in Cork, the relentless rain of this winter has decimated my lawn which was immaculate late summer (thanks to all the warm rain!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A major sudden stratospheric warming began on Monday and this 3rd attempt at SSW this year in as many months looks to linger, with winds staying reversed for a while. This could eventually work down into the troposphere and affect weather patterns, increasing chances of high latitude blocking and colder weather in a few weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭pureza

Quite the lack of global warming in evidence on the approach into Hel this afternoon

The Ice roads looking remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

And by the time that its effects could become noticeable in our part of the world, we'll be just passing the spring equinox so depending on wind source, we could even get some half decent temperatures as we head into April if an east wind has a continental source. Eastern counties would be rather chilly though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm hoping we see a big improvement by June, an end to the monthly deluges and a warm/dryish summer followed by an anticyclonic Autumn. My wish for winter 2024/2025 is for it to be dryer than this winter just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wonder will we have to wait for El Niño to completely fade away to go back to a drier phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Light frost on car at 6am. I actally think the rest of the morning was alot more pleasant as by afternoon well cold with overcast skies in that breeze.

Great break from the rain all the same

9⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Pig of a day again here in tipp. Feels like we are getting every last drop of rain here,going to get at least half an inch of rain alone today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am hoping for a settled spell sometime in April so I can paint the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

I am hoping for a settled spell any time ..........

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Weather hasn't been half bad in Dublin since the horrendous Monday night, if a bit breezy.

Enjoying a lovely morning here at Howth this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Oh wow, that's beautiful. The golden sun and the golden fur bushes. That should be framed sryan 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Relentlessly grim down south. Badly need a bit of spring sun and warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely week of Spring weather. Dry for the most part. The grass is growing faster now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There was alot of grass growth from the end of January and all the way through February. Gave the lawn it's first cut last week and since then I haven't noticed any grass growth because it's been rather chilly since March 1st. I think the temperature has to be 11C or more for grass growth and daytime values have been stuck in single digits since February 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Feels like it has been autumn since the warm spell broke start of Sept, at least the days are getting longer, but could really do with a bit of warmth and some dry calm weather soon. It hasn't felt like spring yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Windy dull cold I guess it’s a step up

on windy wet cold but only just.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

that easterly wind today would tear the skin off you, this morning was lovely though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That is one of the most gorgious pictures I've ever seen of an Irish coastline, wow, seriously I reckon that's sellable.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Jaysus that was one cold evening for standing on the sidelines at the football pitch!

At least the kids are running around, felt like depths of winter with that wind!

I was well wrapped up with the warm coat, gloves, hat, scarf and warm socks and winter boots but my feet were still like blocks of ice by the end!

At least we have had some sunny weather at times during the week.

Last Saturday morning was cold but stunning until the rain came in afternoon.

We spent a lovely few hours out in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Likewise, on sideline of a hurling pitch tonight. Absolutely freezing. Was wearing 4 layers - t-shirt, jumper, fleece and ski jacket - but the wind cut through like I was wearing a cotton t-shirt only....

Yep Rebelbrowser i feel your pain!

Also the so called 'temperature' at 7 degrees was a joke as when you include the wind chill Met Eireann says it feels more like -3 which makes a lot more sense.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very windy morning in Greystones with wild sea.

Same here in NCD and so dark, every light is on in the house!

I thought last night was bad at football ⚽️ sidelines.

Sweet Jaysus this morning takes the absolute biscuit🥶.Those easterly winds are atrocious.

Even the kids were freezing despite various layers, including thermal ones under their football kits.

Roll on the warmer weather.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretty wild in Greystones with persistent wind for the last 12 hours or so, rather than very strong wind. Lots of sea water on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Shocking dark today. Middle of the day and all the lights are on. Much colder than the thermometer suggests too in the wind.

Still, it was nice enough week once Monday morning was over. Dry and sunny for most of the week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement