Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A very strange day today, so cold across the southern third of Ireland which was expected and warmer across the north which was expected but I feel the rain and colder conditions was a tad further south than expected. I certainly didn't expect a lovely day in Meath and ended up in a T-shirt for most of today with milky warm sunshine.

Todays max temperatures shows a narrow projectile of warmth stretching from the Netherlands across to the North West Ireland which is quite unusual. Winter in Munster and Summer in the North-West and late Spring like conditions across the centre of the country.

Todays max temperatures will almost be certainly be matched or exceeded in the later half of next week. I'm also expecting things to turn fairly warm and volatile for the second half of May.

And would you believe just as I posted this we have thunder and lightning here in Meath with alarms going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Apple weather telling me 20 degrees for Saturday 11th, praying…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

like winter. Dark wet miserable. Not sure if it’s cold or not out but lashing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Cold and wet. Yuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Dark,wet,misty,cold,grey. But at least it's bright in the evenings,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Feela humid. Tshirt mode for the morning walk. Dry no sunshine. No daytime rain last two days Meath. Rain overnight. Sadly eith forecast will see plenty of it for daytime tomorrow.

12⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Needmoretea

Very, very dull this morning in Dublin 9. I thought I heard a distant rumble last night before midnight and was not sure if it was thunder or a plane. Other comments confirm there was thunder popping up in parts of Dublin and close to the Meath border last night. Roll on summer :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

WArm and dry and bright in Sligo 15.5c Didn't got below 11c last night.

Think the cloudy nights are almost most of the reason for warmer temperatures in recent years in Ireland. Days aren't much warmer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭appledrop

An absolutely miserable morning, cold, damp, misty and raining and to top it all off we had no electricity this morning trying to get ready for work/school!

A horrible day for Ladies Day at Puncherstown.

I hope the 'winner' they pick is suitable dressed for the winter weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

I see that it's a very pleasant 23° in Oban (western Scotland) at the last report, thanks to a foehn wind from the east. Cloud building now with a lot of heavy thundery showers in southern Scotland so things may go bang and get chiller very quickly this afternoon for Oban residents!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I don't know if its because I've become accustomed to the terrible weather and appreciate the slightest improvement but I don't find today too bad. Yes it's cloudy but it's 15c, dry and calm as anything. Where I am anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's 15c in Sligo n sunny. Lovely day again. In fact since April there's been a lot of sunny days most with some rain too. But I guess April May and some of June is the default Summer in Sligo that's why I got married in May and it was 23c that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Forecasts are lovely and vague for the weekend. Very difficult to figure out where the hotspots will be, and where the rain will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It has been such a cloudy year, could see a cloud free sky out to sea 🤨

All the rain is doing wonders for nature though, can't recall seeing so many bulbs flowering

Overcast,dull,grey,slightly milder,BUT not raining for a change!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yesterday was such a miserable May day. Light mist all day, dull overcast. Felt sorry for them over in punchestown.

Not warm either, had to switch the heat back on also which is a first for May.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sunny south east place to be .Clear blue skies at Waterford Airport and flat Calm

EIWF 041000Z VRB01KT CAVOK 11/10 Q1010

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This weekend nowhere nearly as unsettled as what was shown in the models up to a day or 2 ago. Today is cloudy and on the damp side but at least it's not pouring rain. Should be more in the way of sunshine from tomorrow and from Tuesday/Wednesday onwards is looking nice and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭appledrop

We are not getting any of the nice weather here in Dublin.

Still overcast, still drizzly rain and I don't care what anyone says it is still cold.

I had to go back to the car this morning to get my son a hat because he was freezing warming up for his football match and there was plenty of parents with the hoods up and we were all still in winter coats.

Now we were beside the coast with a sea breeze but still not pleasant at all.

Supposedly it will warm up over the next few days, I hope to god it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Out in Connemara and it's cloudy but very pleasant. Great for walking. It feels warm too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'd describe today as dank in Dublin. It's overcast, cool, occasional drizzle, a lot of fine misty rain. But it's not lashing so it could be worse I suppose. I can see the humidity in my house creeping up a lot over the past couple of days - I hate this annual battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Spring 2024 has so far seen 228.9 hrs of sunshine at Dublin Airport. At this point, it should be seeing 295.8 hrs. That means spring has seen 77% of the average sunshine here 'til now... very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

That's about 25 hours more than some recent individual early/mid spring months, such as March 2022 and April 2021. That 25 hours is basically a difference of two very sunny days, so without April 20th/21st, the figures would've been nearly the same. In fact, this spring so far has actually seen slightly less sunshine than April 2015 if Meteociel is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Wet today after two warm mostly sunny days.

Sun is FINALLY breaking through and its 16c,it is like another country all of a sudden!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cosholky

I’ve just put the heating on in Dublin. I spent the morning on the sideline of a football pitch and it is not warm. Grey and dank again here. I’d love a bit of blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Cloud eventually rolled off but still a slight chill in the sunshine over cork harbour.

At least I'm getting loads of gardening done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

hard to believe it’s 13 out there in that cold wind and under that ever present cloud cover.

A long way off the warm weekend Met E were predicting a few days ago.

• Advertisement

cold here in Meath too but at least it's dry although ground is still damp. Temperature of 12C but feels only about 7 or 8C. Everybody walking around in their winter jackets.

Advertisement