Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Less rain than expected overnight in Dublin. The ground was dry this morning. Now I'll have to water in the lawn feed - typical, no rain when you actually want it. Or should I hold off and see what the day brings?

Yesterday was lovely though, and unexpected based on forecasts right up to the day or so beforehand. Dull today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Was a bit of hope here in carrigaline earlier with the blue skys, got the warmth then. But the clouds have moved in and that bloody breeze is as chilly as ever, not comfortable to sit out in.

Looks like it will be a while yet if ever that we might get a warm air :( .. we live in hope

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a chilly cloudy day here in Meath similar to Saturday. Should be an improvement from tomorrow with sunshine and temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Last few days have been dull and overcast in carrick on shannon, although at least last night was clear long enough to see some of the meteor shower

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I arrived back in Shannon yesterday from Portugal to almost the same temperatures and sunshine, I was delighted!

Came back to a decidedly cool Kerry today, brrrr I just can't get warm! Might even light fire tonight. Roll on warmer days quickly or I'll be booking another holiday soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Had a great day at the Zoo but felt quite chilly after yesterday, glad we had the coats.

Have the heating on now to get the heat back into the auld bones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

sitting here with a big wooly scarf on, cool enough. Cloudy most of the day, sun came out this evening in the North east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

After yesterday's lovely Sunshine, today here in Clare today feels fair chilly…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Here near Tralee mostly overcast with some brief sunny spells up until the late afternoon when it brightened up to clear blue skies, a steady breeze had a bit of a nip in it but very pleasant pottering around. This evening out around the countryside taking a few pictures and had a warm jacket on but very pleasant in the the bright evening sunshine with gallons of fresh air.

High of 15.7C, currently 10.9C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Cloudy,dark,grey,overcast and cool this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Was it this time last forecasts had the weekend as a washout?

Got loads of gardening done but still feel like we're catching up to where we usually are. The dry February last year allowed a first grass cut but first cut this year was very late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

May looks pretty dry overall now. Not overly warm but a welcome break from deluges. Still only 5mm ìn Sligo after 7 days. A few showers in the coming weeks but no huge totals showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Warn, Sunny, Breezy.

Great day for the drying.

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It looks like cloud coming in from the west and east at the same time 🙃 this crap should be all gone by tomoro evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Stunning afternoon Dublin 2

16°

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Doesn't get any better than this, glorious.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭pureza

Lovely day in Arklow again

Currently 16.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Gorgeous day in Galway. Not sure what temp is but it feels quite warm. It's been a most enjoyable long weekend. Very very little rain so far this month. Just back to work today. It's just magic to see all the growth and the flowers and the birdsong is so vibrant.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

nice here near Trim, the sun is trying its best to breakout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nope ME no rain in the West well Galway anyway as promised this morning and looking at the radar there won't be

Post edited by Storm 10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I agree a cracking day. Hopefully this is not it and it lasts for the next few months

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

I've been planting several hundred beech (for hedging) over the past month or so and I still have a few dozen to go. I've been extremely lucky that the weather so far this Spring has resulted in Beech having a very late bud burst, with mature beech hedges and trees having bud burst only in the past week or two in the part of Meath I am in now. Early to mid-Spring (mid-March to mid-April) is more common place for leaves to emerge on beech.

About 10% of my new beech hedging has some leaves now but the majority have swollen buds and I'd say I may notice a big swathe of green develop over this coming weekend with warm and often sunny conditions being prevalent. Normally I'd be complaining of leaves appearing this late in Spring but in this case, the un-ideal weather has saved me a few hundred quid.

I'd say one of the most common human made loud sound to be heard this weekend will be lawnmowers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am curious highdef - where is the cost saving? Are saplings without leaves less expensive in the garden centre? I am also planting a mix of trees in a field behind the house including beech. Planting about 10-15 every year for the last few years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Starting to clear up now in the south west..many places will be sunny by evening

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Warm in dublin, i was able to cycle to the shops in a t shirt, a few days ago i needed gloves

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Bare roots trees and hedging will always be cheaper and are generally planted in the winter/spring period. The hedging would be sold in bundles of a hundred. A normal year mid to late march would be cut off for planting.

On the cost it easier to put the bare roots plants into a black back as they have no leaves and are dormant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

A wet evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

the convection thread should be busy, something to look forward too.
    I like rain in May to make your garden grow.

Advertisement